VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1.9D cooling Qs

816 views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  ICONAUTO 
#1 ·
hi, ive just gave my van a run after fitting new cylinder head, new thermstat, new water pump (with belt fitted underneath) and now it seems to be running hotter than when it had a cracked head, altho aint pressurising anymore. temp seems to be climbing nearly to 3/4 ive had to put the heater on to help keep it cool.
the cooling systems bleed right and everything is connected up.
so the Qs

1, where does the temp guage tend to stay on a 1.9D? im guessing halfway?
2, does the cooling fans still come on even if the blinds are shut on the rad shroud?
3, should the blinds on the shrouds open when the engines hot?

any help is appriciated

#3 ·
I have the same engine and mine seemed to be running a bit warm when i got it. changed the coolant and bled the system and now it runs about halfway. it does rise to about 95-96 if i'm going up a long hill in fifth, but it can also drop to just over 80 if i'm doing the opposite. Ambient temperature doesn't seem to have much to do with it either cos it does the same on a reasonably warm day as its done when it recently dropped to -12
I have the fan shrouds wired open on the rad cos the thermostat jobby was shafted and didn't seem to be doing anything. This did make a slight difference to the overall running temp. Try it, its only a couple of bolts to take it off. its the thing between the two fans, looks like the photo below

Also might be worth going around all the jubilee clips to make sure the system doesn't have any small leaks anywhere. The system should be pressurised to some extent and the coolant may not be circulating properly

Also did you blast out all the with a hose before refilling as you may have an internal blockage or restriction somewhere. check the coolant is flowing nicely out of the small bore header tank return pipe

Another possibility is a shagged rad. get it up to temp and feel all over the rad. if there are any cool spots theres a blockage. a flush might work if this is the case but probably only temporarily. Be careful if you go for a new rad as there are two sizes. You want the smaller one. I got supplied with the later, bigger one and had a nightmare making it fit

HTH

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.