VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi

just had a fiddle with the pump settings on my n reg 1.9d. Turning the iddle screw adjustment, (against the throttle cable thingy) right down so it just picks up idle, (at least 10mm) and then turned the max fuel screw up so tick over rmp was couple of hundred rev's higher than previous. recon i turned the fuel screw half a turn clockwise.

the van has an exhaust off a 2.4d or 2.5td on it, which was chucked in the back of the van on purchase, i made it fit and is certainly a bigger exhaust than the small boxes on the 1.9 when i had it( they were knackered)

So perhaps this is also helping (i.e. easier to get the gas out). but the van without doubt has a lot more power, it does not smoke and just bent the speed limit on the moore rd behind my house, and there was more power to be had. Need to get it on the motorway, but on the face of it, it has increased the power somewhat.

Certainly worth the 30mins fiddling around the pump with a spanner and a flat hd screw driver :)

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
wouldn't mind seeing a pic of the screws you adjusted so I can play with my 1.9d also T:

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yeah me too - ive just done the EGR valve & getting the throttle replaced any other tweeks would be good...
Hi mate

what do you mean regards the egr valve? does a 1.9d have one? if so what can be done to it?

will take a pic and post soon.

cheers

j

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
don't think a non turbo has an egr fitted

pics will be great, do you get much blake smoke now ?

·
Registered
70 Posts
If you remove the throttle damper (under the front of the injector pump) you will be amazed at the difference, better acceleration, just snappier.
It was put on to stop rebound on the peddle,did mine 2 yrs ago brill.T:

·
Registered
145 Posts
I also removed the throttle damper from my van sixteen years ago eighteen months after I got it, have been enjoying that smooth acceleration ever since. 1992 T4 1.9D

1 - 13 of 13 Posts