VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I say slow I mean proper sh!te. Will only just reach 80, and only if condition are right. Any wind or a tiny hill and bang, back down to 50mph. Also MPG seems rather low to me, it's way worse than my transit van. £30.00 of diesel only got us 100miles on the motorway the other day and we were only travelling at a steady 60.

The van is quite heavy though I think, its a high top with a camper conversion. Its done 150,000 miles also. Tyres are at 55 psi.

Any recommendations?

Am I expecting too much?

·
Somebody stop me!
11,968 Posts
Your expecting too much! Its an old designed engine, underpowered and heaving a heavy van around. Decat it, increase the boost and fueling, blank the egr and it will go considerably better for peanuts, using basic tools T:T:

·
Registered
27 Posts
sounds like yours aint running to well mine is also a 1.9td and will do a steady 80mph no probs on the motorway and get there fairly quicker than it did, ive adjusted the max fuel screw till the revs started to pick up then fitted a bleed valve to set the boost to 16psi ( ive also fitted a boost gauge) 30 pound of fuel i get at least 150 miles for that .i did diconect the egr but it didnt really make much differance a little more power but used more fuel in traffic so put it back i think you should do a service oil , fuel and air filter change then do the fuel max screw first as this ups the boost as well then set the boost and you will spend more time in 5th gear *<:)> sorry for the grammer but get on with it ps there is a step by step thread on here on how to do this with pictures

·
Registered
27 Posts
mine is also kitted out as a camper think mine is doing at least 30mpg around town LOL: which anit to bad its the fuel price that needs sorting 30 pound is only just over four gallon

·
Somebody stop me!
11,968 Posts
What about the MPG?
Mine went up slightly to around 35mpg, getting 40 plus now with the tdi conversion T:T:

sounds like yours aint running to well mine is also a 1.9td and will do a steady 80mph no probs on the motorway and get there fairly quicker than it did, ive adjusted the max fuel screw till the revs started to pick up then fitted a bleed valve to set the boost to 16psi ( ive also fitted a boost gauge) 30 pound of fuel i get at least 150 miles for that .i did diconect the egr but it didnt really make much differance a little more power but used more fuel in traffic so put it back i think you should do a service oil , fuel and air filter change then do the fuel max screw first as this ups the boost as well then set the boost and you will spend more time in 5th gear *<:)> sorry for the grammer but get on with it ps there is a step by step thread on here on how to do this with pictures
I hope you have an intercooler fitted running that much boost bud :eek: 11 - 13psi max with no intercooler any more and you will be running excessive exhaust gas temperatures which will reduce the life of your engine. I had an intercooler and AAZ pump with a reprofiled boost pin, running 15psi just with actuator adjustment. It would make mincemeat out of 2.5tdi's on accelleration, the only problem was the top speed which was governed by the gearing of the van. MPG was higher again to around the 40mpg mark T:T:

·
Registered
56 Posts
..I have to say 100 miles on £30 isnt bad at all for any van on todays fuel prices..especially a converted one!!

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
..I have to say 100 miles on £30 isnt bad at all for any van on todays fuel prices..especially a converted one!!
Mmmm, bummer. That's what I didnt want to hear. I was hoping I could 'fix' my way out of sh!te MPG. ;)

How much do new or recon injectors cost for these vans? Do injectors from other VDub Diesels fit?

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Mmmm, bummer. That's what I didnt want to hear. I was hoping I could 'fix' my way out of sh!te MPG. ;)

How much do new or recon injectors cost for these vans? Do injectors from other VDub Diesels fit?
You have a problem if £30 only gets you 100 miles

·
Registered
27 Posts
well ive got a passat intercooler 130bhp just need to fit now and get some pipe work sorted:eek:
got some fog lights on order and been given a rear step chrome gaurd T: so il get them fitted first *<:)>

·
Registered
27 Posts
hey have you tried fuel cleaner i put it in mine every now and then works a treat red-x drive it for normal for half a tank then frash the fook out of it to clean all the carbon out:D

·
Registered
5,934 Posts
http://www.cataclean.com/
give this a go before new injectorsT:
thread starting,go to whatever section your topic of thread is on,top left hand side of threads is a "new thread" tab
click on it,put a title in for subject...then type away!T:

·
Registered
27 Posts
I was thinking more along the lines of smash the inners out!:ILU:
just remove it you can get a decat pipe for 40 quid I: thats something im thinking later on in the year but i read somewhere on a road test he only got 4 bhp from doing this but felt better to driveT:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts