VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

New to forum so bare with me 馃榿

Currently experiencing a very consistent (but slow-ish) oil leak, it seems to be coming from behind and slightly upwards and right of the oil filter and housing (bare in mind im 99% sure its not this housing module)... there seems to be another module or part so to speak bolted to the engine block with 2 bolts?... its above the oil filter housing to the right , quite hard to actually see, but is visible from below the engine and when viewed it seems there is a slight gap in between the engine and this part..

This im very sure is where the problem is occuring, i just dont have the foggiest of what is it?!

This in turn makes it difficult on how to approach it as again i cant figure out what it is without take out the rad and having a good look.

Any help would be a blessing馃檹

MIKE

Registered
From your description I think that is for the breather pipe, on top of the rocker cover to the left side the round attachment has a thick rubber hose goes down the front of the engine, that's the pipe the bit you are describing connects to, either the rubber sealing ring behind it needs renewing or the housing is cracked.
It is a bit fiddly but can be got to from underneath to remove it, no need to move the radiator.
Don't overtighten on refitting.

(top centre of the picture (partly obscured) is what you're describing I think)
Automotive tire Black Motor vehicle Automotive wheel system Font

(round bit to the left on top of rocker cover, the rubber hose going down the front of the engine, that's what it is attached to, it's for the breather pipe.)

Motor vehicle Vehicle Automotive fuel system Automotive air manifold Automotive exterior

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
From your description I think that is for the breather pipe, on top of the rocker cover to the left side the round attachment has a thick rubber hose goes down the front of the engine, that's the pipe the bit you are describing connects to, either the rubber sealing ring behind it needs renewing or the housing is cracked.
It is a bit fiddly but can be got to from underneath to remove it, no need to move the radiator.
Don't overtighten on refitting.

(top centre of the picture (partly obscured) is what you're describing I think)
View attachment 197559

(round bit to the left on top of rocker cover, the rubber hose going down the front of the engine, that's what it is attached to, it's for the breather pipe.)

View attachment 197557
馃榿Thankyou so much for your fast reply and explanation to what could be occuring.

Im going to give this a go this week and let you know, fingers crossed!!

馃憤

Registered
Good luck!
By the way, guess you worked out my confusing mix up with my lefts and rights....:LOL:
Looking from the top on the picture it's on the right, guess I was thinking from the vehicle prospective, left hand side of the vehicle.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Automotive tire Automotive lighting Automotive wheel system Tints and shades Synthetic rubber

I believe i have found the point of interest.

Still im unsure to the part as i cant make out a part number, but obvious leak and what looks like a bodge job done previous is evident as i dont think that m bolt should be there.

Any help would be great!

Registered
View attachment 197642
I believe i have found the point of interest.

Still im unsure to the part as i cant make out a part number, but obvious leak and what looks like a bodge job done previous is evident as i dont think that m bolt should be there.

Any help would be great!
I'm begining to suspect for some reason I can't quite put my finger on Mike that maybe you're not a real mechanic!!.....:ROFLMAO:

That's the vacuum pump, and that's the correct bolt holding it in, it's holding a "c" shaped clamp tight against the bottom of the pump to hold it in place.
There's a rubber ring seal under the top part held with three 10mm bolts, and a ring seal on the base within the recess.

Basically it's a really simple repair, the worst part is getting the pump off and back on.

That can also be got out from underneath and above, patience is needed as it's very fiddly getting to and getting the bolt out, 13mm if I remember correctly, something like quarter turns at a time, and there's very little room for fingers and thumbs. Be extremely careful removing the vacumm pipe, (vacuum pipe connects to the brake servo) it's very easy to break off the plastic connection on top, you need to gently and evenly pry it off from underneath and pull evenly directly upwards, dont try to twist or wiggle off, it basically just slides on over the cone shaped connection but the vacuum pulls it down tight. (actually your photo looks like the may be some sort of clip on it)
When refitting take note that in the bottom of the pump drive there is a recess that has to sit in the correct possition on top of the corresponding drive on the auxiliary shaft inside to engine, if can be done by feel and a bit of wriggling and twisting, make sure it is correctly seated (it wont seat if it's not in the correct possition) before deciding to tighten the clamp.
I'd advise against taking the vanes out from inside unless you note exactly which place and position they sit, and if there's lots of oil inside (like half full of oil) then it's better to replace it. I bought second hand from scrapyards, some Golfs, Jetta and Passats, some Fords, Audis,Seats and Skodas have same pump.
It's a very fiddly job!
I would strongly advise against being tempted to use a ratchet ring spanner, especialy one directional, as when the bolt holding the clamp is tight there's not enough room to get the spanner out, I made that mistake thinking it'd be easier and quicker to tighten it, took me 2 hours and grinding down to wafer thin a 13mm open spanner to remove the bolt again to retrieve my ratchet ring spanner, I wont be making that mistake again!!
Good luck, have fun!!.....

This is the vacuum pump, one ring seal fits inside the engine recess and a ring seal under the top.

Automotive lighting Auto part Font Fashion accessory Electronics accessory

This is what the clamp holding the pump looks like.

Game controller Input device Video game accessory Gadget Home game console accessory

Registered
That bottom breather hose attachment was leaking on mine, identical engine, bought the o ring and quick 20 min replacement. See link to other conversation about it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts