VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have to change the clutch in my van. I'm gonna have to do the job myself on the drive - any tips.

Do I need any special tools?

Mine is a 1.9td abl 1997 - does it have a DMF?

·
Meithered to death
2,859 Posts
No DMF on the 1.9,its a heavy box and not easy to remove lay on your back.
Swing the engine forward and hold it there with a piece of wood cut the correct length between the sump and subframe.

·
Registered
26 Posts
You need a M12 spline socket to disconnect your driveshafts and a 9mm 12 point socket for your clutch cover apart from that theres no special tools needed.

·
Meithered to death
2,859 Posts
No you can leave the subframe where it is hence the piece of wood between the subframe and sump to hold the engine forward so you can get the box out.
How would you fit this piece of wood with the subframe out.
If i were you i would pay a garage to replace the clutch,its a big job for a novice to take on and the box is really heavy if your laid on your back and can be awkward to manouvre in and out.
Labour charge should be around 4 hours plus the price of the clutch around £90

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
No you can leave the subframe where it is hence the piece of wood between the subframe and sump to hold the engine forward so you can get the box out.
How would you fit this piece of wood with the subframe out.
If i were you i would pay a garage to replace the clutch,its a big job for a novice to take on and the box is really heavy if your laid on your back and can be awkward to manouvre in and out.
Labour charge should be around 4 hours plus the price of the clutch around £90
Ok. I just wanted to confirm that you leave the subframe in place as someone had told me that you had to drop the gearbox side of the subframe to do it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts