VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys. Im new to the forum so just feeling my way through..Ive owned a 97 t4 1.9td abl since last august. Really enjoy the having the van but had a few problems.. Basically my pulley snapped off due to a weak keyway (design flaw by vw im told) and ruined the head. Long story short ive had the whole engine reconditioned with all new belts and pumps etc. Only thing ive not replaced is the fuel pump and turbo.
Had the van back and just running it back in...My question to you all is can I get some more guts out of this engine? Its so under powered!! it struggles uphils etc.
Not really a pleasant drive to be honest. Im guna change the gear selector bushes as the gear changes are a bit notchy, but can it be tweaked? Any thoughts..

Thanks in advance.....
Andy

·
Registered
2,371 Posts
it can be adjusted BUT is it a good idea on a new engine? how about warranty?

also, from what you must have spent, you may have been better off having a 1.9tdi conversion :unsure:

Rich.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply. Yes i understand i cant play with the engine until its been run in basically 1000 ish miles from now.
I was considering the conversion but ive been able to get most of the work done by a good mate. parts have cost me £1k in total but ive replaced everything apart from the turbo and diesel pump. even put a new clutch and flywheel on.
Need even more bits with the tdi engine like gearbox and a host of other parts yea?
I may even consider upgrading to a t5 later on in the year, see how i go

cheers

·
Registered
2,371 Posts
Need even more bits with the tdi engine like gearbox and a host of other parts yea?
use the van gearbox as car items dont fit (although spme similar internals), think my first tdi conversion cost ~£450 all in including t5 intercooler & pipwork (y)
I say first as I've a tdi'd mk2 golf and 2 tdi'd B3 Passat wagons andhave tdi'd a few others aswell as wired more:)

Rich.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts