VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi peeps

ive been reading abit on fitting a IC on the above & folk on here say it dont seem to make much diffrence,,i should have a new one in post any day now off a Range Rover Sport:cool:,,my question is iam not sure about fitting it now due to "Not Much Difference"

the mods ive done have without question made her pull better,,there must be more ya can do to these motors in the sence of good old fashioned tuning,,any help advice greatfully received,,

thanks RickT:

·
Registered
3,273 Posts
Fit it and make your own mind up is my advice. :)

IMHO, those that are saying 'it doesn't make much difference' are those that think they're going to get results by just bolting stuff to their engine and doing nothing else.

There's been a LOT of hard miles put in by those who have experimented and got appreciable power gains out of both the 1.9 and 2.5 engines (not to mention the 1.9tdis), but none of those gains have come from simply bolting anything on or blindly turning screws expecting miracles - yet it's amazing how many people come here, never look at any of the threads where people have taken great pains to detail their work, and think that they know better..........

Bottom line - an IC will cool intake temps. Cooler air is more dense, providing a better combustion process. It's one step along making for a more efficiant engine. Not the be-all-and-end-all - but a step in the right direction, nonetheless.

More BHP?? Who cares - those that measure everything in terms of BHP really don't know what they're on about............I:

All IMHO, of course I:

Rasp:

;)

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
sure with you on the BHP thing or as i sometimes call it pub numbers,,i

,yeah as you say its little bits of tweeking that all ad up to it feeling "Wow" that feels better kinda thing,,,the mods ive done have deffo made a difference,,but i have noticed if you revv the 1.9 it really does make it go slower less power,,sounds daft but if you kinda slightly back off the gas it does pull more cleanly hence going better as apose to foot flat to the floor thats my theory any rode,,there is one more mod iam gunna have a crack at and thats the exhaust wrap stuff i can get it from a place in birmingham £20 for a 1" by 50ft long roll,,they do 3 types
ceramic//copper and the new stuff titainium,,

cheers Rick

10,824 Posts
So kal if it's not just bolted on or a few screws turned here and there then what do you do? use seleotape and sticky back plastic?

I'm one of those so called people who just bolt things on and yes i've read all the threads, done the work myself and i'm no mechanic, but i still say putting a intercooler on has made bugger all difference except probably slow it down! :(

7/11=12 you might find your engine reacts differently to having one fitted and you might notice the difference, other options to consider are the different injectors, de-cat, egr blanking it all depends on how deep your pockets are!

·
Registered
3,273 Posts
Dantro - first things first - please take my reply in the spirit it was intended :)

I'm no mechanic either - far from it - but I do like to reason things through and I'd say that if you've made your engine 'slower' by fitting an IC, then it's NOT the IC's fault, rather I'd be wondering where the boost leak was coming from...... :)

One person's duff results is hardly the basis for a thesis, is it. ;)

If you look through any of my threads, be that on tuning the 1.9, running on veggie oil, or my latest on 2 stroke oil additive to dino diesel, I make changes in isolation where I can and then base my results on a lengthy test period.

I then re-visit my tests to make sure that I wasn't just imagining any results. :ILU:

As for your other points - there are no uprated injectors for the 1.9TD - although the standard ones can be tweaked (although, from asking those in the know, this is mainly to ease the use of veggie oil, rather than any power gains - for the cost of having them rebuilt (£40 a pop) and the max quoted 'power gains' of 5%, I passed on having mine done!).

The EGR blanking for me made no difference, but it was free and certainly has had no negative effect. If nothing else, it's a fairly restrictive bit of kit that is only there to appease the 'Green' police, so has no other benefit or negative aspect.

De cats (or, more precisely, the removal of the particle filter) is most likely to improve exhaust gas flow, as the insides are so restrictive - but it's always worth having a look at the effects of reduced back pressure when considering such things. Not strictly the case with a turbo engine, but always worth a read.......

Having an understanding of these basics, like having an understanding of gas flowing in the engine, even if you're not mechanically minded, can make you appreciate what effects you might encounter when making changes to your engine.

As with anything else, there's always cheques and balances - quite where you decide the balance is depends on your budget........ :)

From a personal POV, I've just disabled my MBC and have noticed that my turbo now spools up CONSIDERABLY quicker (actuator wound right in, fuel adjusted accordingly - no other major changes) - but on the minus side, the maximum boost has dropped a couple of psi, which is noticeable at speed when trying to pull up a hill.

Now - I think that all my buggering around has compromised the seal around the various pipes, resulting in a loss of a couple of psi along the way, so I need to address that before I make any judgements (I only originally gained about a pound boost pressure with the MBC anyway) - it seemingly doesn't take much at all to lose a pound or two of pressure.........and that minor change makes a huge impact on the road!

7/11 - exhaust wrap?? Might be beneficial around the turbo - deffo have to let us know how that goes!!

As for revving the 1.9 - when I wound the boost right up (for testing) it really needed to be be revved to spool up to max pressure. Since removing the MBC, the max boost comes in a LOT lower down the rev range, making it far more driveable IMHO.

:)

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So kal if it's not just bolted on or a few screws turned here and there then what do you do? use seleotape and sticky back plastic?

I'm one of those so called people who just bolt things on and yes i've read all the threads, done the work myself and i'm no mechanic, but i still say putting a intercooler on has made bugger all difference except probably slow it down! :(

7/11=12 you might find your engine reacts differently to having one fitted and you might notice the difference, other options to consider are the different injectors, de-cat, egr blanking it all depends on how deep your pockets are!
the one thing that as actually made a big difference is ive modded the complete exhaust right from the flange using new generation impreza exhaust "Different Eh;)",,not just chop & mig a big diameter pipe on,,when i removed the front pipe it as a huge step down in diameter from the exhaust manifold,,so it was a case of offer the pipe work up to each other scribe cut & burr/mig = a one off side exit exhaust:cool:,,plus the other mods what you mention too dantro,she is getting there,,there is one thing thats really is getting on mi titties the low gearing,,i know the box is different in the sence where the OS drive shaft goes into a ally housing but the rest of the box looks to me like any other VW 1.9 box so mi thinking is could i sling a golf/passat box in then over revving sorted:dunno:,all my work up to now is on my public viewT:,,thanks RickT:

·
Registered
646 Posts
the thing with a front mount intercooler is that the actual surface area is much larger than a standard intercooler therefore the "charged air" has further to travel so invariably to get the benefits or indeed the original power you will need to turn the boost up, BUT the cooled air going into the engine is much cooler than normal allowing the increase in boost to be less detrimental to the internals thus the engine runs better. The colder the air getting into the engine the better as it is more dense therefore more oxygen rich. most of the time other modifications will be required with a front mount.

In my opinion and having had turbo'd cars for a number of years a front mount intercooler is a good mod and will at least keep your engine safe.

cheers jaz

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
i must admit after doing all the 1.9td pp mods possible i dont believe it made that much difference on my van ... one of my intercooler pipes split so i had to revert back to the standard pipe for a week and the power was much the same if not more responsive , it was still showing the same boost pressure as with the intercooler .. i think my van is just a one off :confused:

but i dont care now because i have a 1.9TDI fitted and its plenty fast .. whoop whoop :D

·
Premium Member
1,257 Posts
Does anyone have any suggestions regarding the optimum intercooler size and pipe runs?

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Does anyone have any suggestions regarding the optimum intercooler size and pipe runs?
would fitting smaller bore IC pipe work help using reducers from the cooler :* just a thought,,& maybe wrapping them in exhaust wrap to keep the heat out

1 - 10 of 10 Posts