VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
1.9TD 800 Special SWB
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just curious if anyone has tried any of the following Inlet Manifolds to improve the flow when tuning their 1.9TD.
It looks as if there's quite a large choice of manifolds that will fit the ABL head with slight modifications....e.g. blanking the EGR, and tapping to include a take-off for a boost gauge.
Some of the manifolds below would need connectors making up (e.g. a straight version of the ABL elbow) but others already have the pipe connection incorporated, as well as a boost gauge take-off.
Because I use a BBMIC (Behind Bumper Mounted Intercooler), I would prefer to use a manifold that has the inlet facing the nearside so that I can keep the pipework on either side of the engine......this does limit my choice quite a bit.

It looks as if I would have to find some decent blanking plates for this one.

If anybody has any experience of fitting these, then please comment as any information would be welcome, especially with pictures.

·
Registered
338 Posts
None of the above are that great - sharp turns, short unequal runners.

Go for a gasser inet or a 1Y 1X non turbo diesel inlet.

This is one with the egr circuit - you can get them without

I had one dumped in the garage you could have had for nowt

Modified the above to exit the other side and house a dual plenum

·
1.9TD 800 Special SWB
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Reg, I was looking at that type but wasn't sure that I'd be able to get it to fit without fouling the turbo behind.

·
Registered
2,325 Posts
@Martin.
If you want power from an abl / 1.9td then I’d look at different turbo’s & their manifolds - especially low mounted turbo as this gives more space for better inlet manifolds AND has less radiated heat (from turbo) into the inlet - defeating the work of a cahrge-air intercooler as you feed cooled air into a hot manifold :*

As Reg says, the n/a diesel or petrol manifolding is an improvement over the vw factory manifolds - including the infamous ‘PD130’ itemI:

Although for the power levels that we are likely to see on basically standard engines the manifolding is usually sufficient due to the nature of forced-induction A:

Don’t forget the 5cylinder / 2.5tdi as fitted by Volvo, can be cut-down to 4cylinder use and is a far better design than vw offerings A:

I’ve a few Volvo items I’m adjusting for my mk2 golf tdi & either my tdi’d t4 or tdi’ B3 Passat, I’ve posted photos on Fb..

https://m.facebook.com/groups/889917321123082

Most recent manifold wondering was Posted on 5/10/17

Rich.

·
Registered
2,043 Posts
Don’t forget the 5cylinder / 2.5tdi as fitted by Volvo, can be cut-down to 4cylinder use and is a far better design than vw offerings
I’m planning to go down this route. There’s not much difference between the Volvo manifold and the AXG manifold that all the 5 cylinder tuners rave about

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hi :)

I like this thread, wondering about what type of low mounted turbo people are using?
I really want to move the turbo away from the air intake manifold.

Best regards

·
Registered
338 Posts
Over to you Reg, you're the Caddy man!
Yes - proper caddys - not polo vans.

Not familar with this turbo or fitting it to a T4 so I'm out...

The seat cordoba AHUI unit I fitted to my mates T4 was quite low slung - bulkhead needed a little caress with a big hammer to get clearance.

Go too low down the block and you get close to the steering rack.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts