VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
871 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For the second time this year, the bolt holding the alternator in place on my 2001 1.9TD has snapped, this is also the third alternator this year. The first alternator failed at teh sme time as the first bolt snapping (not sure what came first), teh second alternator failed but the bolt was fine. The latest is a snapped bolt and failed alternator. I'm wondering though what could be causing this as it seems a bit catastrophic. If the failing alternators are putting too much pressure on the bolt, then I have the problem of working out why my alternators keep failing, but if the bolt snapping is causing the problem I have to work out why the bolt's snapping.

I've put the van into a local garage, one thing they have suggested is the possibility that the hoel the bolt goes into is too big which might cause the bolt to snap.

I'm at a loss with this, though have heard a few other stories of similar failures, anyone else? Here's the bolt in question...

·
Registered
1,823 Posts
The bolt on mine sheared on the start of the threaded part. Have replaced and so far, 6 months, its still ok.
Would have thought its a high tensile bolt but perhaps if holes a bit bigger than it should be alternator is
moving stressing bolt. Garage theory could be right.

·
Premium Member
871 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The bolt on mine sheared on the start of the threaded part. Have replaced and so far, 6 months, its still ok.
Would have thought its a high tensile bolt but perhaps if holes a bit bigger than it should be alternator is
moving stressing bolt. Garage theory could be right.
Thanks, yes could be.

The van is still in the garage, one other thing I need to check with them tomorrow is the torque setting they're using. I received my Haynes manual today which states 25 nm, I'm guessing too tight and it could snap at some time, or too lose and it could move, though would expect it to be too tight more than anything.

·
Registered
52 Posts
not sure if it can be fitted but other ABL's have a different setup - not sure if it was done to solve the issues your having. There is no adjustment on the alternator, but you have a seperate tensioned pulley.

Looks from that picture it could fit. Would seem to be a more reliable (and cheaper lol) setup?

·
Registered
1,823 Posts
Perhaps a not properly tightened bolt has allowed the alternator to rock which could make the hole oval,
being a steel bolt in an alloy casing.

·
Premium Member
871 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've just got the van back from garage who were really good about it and have not charged for fixing it, however, they have pointed out that one of the holes on the bracket that mounts to the van is not round and has become elongated which could be causing some movement. Just in case this happens again, I will order a new bracket to be fitted.

Oddly enough, this time the alternator did not seize up so that probably rules out the jolt of an alternator failing causing it.

Mind you, the bolt did snap while I was testing my turbo tuning tweaks I:

·
Registered
1,823 Posts
The replacement bolt that I used was longer than the original so I fitted a locknut to it, belt and braces T:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts