VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, first off I'm totally new to all this so excuse the cluelessness. Right I have a T4 1.9td which I love but the power let down does make me want to cry. I've seen a few people have done a 1Z conversion to help with the lack of hp.

So my questions are...
Is it straight forward to do?
Is there anything I should be aware of?
How much roughly would it cost to have done by a garage?
Is there ANYONE in Norfolk who'd do it as I've rang a few garages and they've all ran a mile!

Any help/info would be greatly appreciated cheers

·
Registered
477 Posts
I'm currently taking on this task between myself and a friend, if you have somewhere you can work on the vehicles then there is so much info on here even with basic knowledge you'll wonder why you've not done it sooner. Don't let the thought of the wiring put you off either it all makes sense when you break it down bit by bit

I assume you've seen the library of info? http://www.vwt4forum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=78009

I've read the threads so many times on here and could do the conversion from memory, I'm currently rebuilding the engine from the doner car and I would definitely recommend buying a doner car it was an mot failure for a total of £240 and so far I've spent £50 on gaskets. Maybe have another £250-300 to spend on the clutch and all serviceable parts. Not sure on the labour costs of a garage but that's a rough idea if you were to give it a bash yourself.

I'm sure some others will be along who have completed the build shortly, there's no end of them on here :D

·
Registered
775 Posts
I done mine in a weekend.

Friday - engine out and stripped

Saturday - Mods carried out to 1z block and associated parts swapped over and bolted back in Saturday evening.

Sunday - connecting up wiring loom, plumbing in water pipes, bleeding clutch, etc etc

However, i became quite good at taking the engine out etc as i had it out about 3 times due to blowing up two turbos lol

I could do it with my eyes shut now...

·
Registered
127 Posts
^^^ whs, I did mine in a weekend, started mine on the Friday lunch time, got old engine out and 80% of the bits swapped over, Saturday morning finished swapping last few bits over, fitted by 12.00 lunch time, fitted loom, connected everything up and running by 2.00, refitted front of the van and added coolant and pas fluid, fabricated front mount intercooler mounting points and sorted pipework by 6.00, Sunday last few finishing touches like short shift mod and modified the grill to clear the intercooler, drove it home by lunch time!! The loom was worrying me but once I stripped it down, was a simple swap from the td loom to the tdi loom

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sorry about the delay, I asked around, quite a few garages won't do it or too scared but my local would but at £1000!! and I'd have to source a donor car etc.
I seriously don't have the confidence or knowledge to do it so gonna stick with what I've got for a year or two then sell for a more powerful van!
Cheers for the replies though

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That sounds interesting, will that bugger my engine quicker? My T4's top speed is around 62 mph, i know its only a van etc, but surely I can get abit more kick out of it

·
Registered
3,836 Posts
That sounds interesting, will that bugger my engine quicker? My T4's top speed is around 62 mph, i know its only a van etc, but surely I can get abit more kick out of it
if your van only does 62 and its a 1.9td then something is wrong with this van already as thats not right any t4 regardless of engine shoud hit 80+

1 - 10 of 10 Posts