VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just come up against my first (of many probably... ) problems in my 1.9TDi conversion. I have a set of ABL intake and exhaust manifolds to fit to my TDi engine. So as it's raining out I decided to fit them to the TDi engine in preparation for fitting next week.

The turbocharger on the ABL exhaust manifold has had it unfortunately. "No problem " I thought as I'd heard it was the same as the one on the TDi engine anyway so I can just swap them over - right? Wrong! They are not, my ABL turbo-to-exhaust downpipe is 5-stud and golf is four. Anyone know if there is also a 4 stud turbo-to-exhaust downpipe ever fitted to later T4s? Otherwise it looks like I'll be buying another turbo with a 5 stud flange...great!:eek:

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
when you say the turbo on the t4 manifold has had it , it what way , also what brand is the turbo KKK or garrett also what brand turbo is fitted to the golf manifold ?? T:

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The bearings have collapsed in the T4 turbo and the turbine has seperated from the compressor on the shaft. Both turbos are Garrett T15s as far as I can tell and although the compressor side seems to be identical, the turbine side is different...

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Feel like a complete :*:*:*:* - just discovered that the turbine housings are interchangeable... Thanks for your help anyway

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
Feel like a complete :*:*:*:* - just discovered that the turbine housings are interchangeable... Thanks for your help anyway
nice one T: i was going to get to that just needed confirmation both your turbos were the same .. if you get super stuck I'm sure i have a garrett t15 in the shed somewhere

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Many thanks for the kind offer T: Managed to get the turbine housing off the T4 turbo tonight by twisting back and forth gently and tapping the cartridge with a copper hammer and piece of wood while clamping the housing. Golf turbine housing is a complete and utter barsteward though and after much tapping and attempted twisting the compressor housing began to move but the body of the turbo was having none of it! So decided to stop before I damaged anything T:. Gave it a good soaking in WD40 (again!) and going to leave it overnight to see if that will improve matters when I have another go tomorrow - here's hoping!

Also noticed slight play in the bearings of the golf turbo :eek:, so considering rebuilding this at the minute... There is no end-float however, so things may not be all bad. Not had much experience with turbos so not sure if this is a problem

1 - 6 of 6 Posts