VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Need a bit of help if possible, engine ran fine always first time on key then i had the dreaded fuel pump leak!! managed to get a mechanic and i purchased a second hand one which he fitted and the van started first time, but this one started to leak aswell ( i know nightmare ) anyhoo i mentioned the kits to rebuild them as i wasnt going to pay out again for another one, and he said he would rebuild it, brought it back refitted and now nothing!! well it cranks over, fires and then dies after 2 secs, he was baffled as fuel was going to pump and injectors but keeps dieing after 2 secs!!

Ive been reading all day on here to see if i can pinpoint the problem, and im guessing its either fuel pump timing ( im pretty sure he checked this as he must of done it when he first fitted the new pump) or this immobilizer issue.

If its the immobilizer issue, i read on another forum about fitting a push button start, and to test if it is immobilizer to run live from battery to pump solenoid, not sure if thats correct mind you.

I am a complete novice, what are your thoughts on the problem, and can you point me in the direction of pictures, or detailed info to sort this issue out, as i cant keep shedding out on mechanics if i can do it myself, just need a bit of guidance i guess as it can be quite daunting, i really need to get this up and running its been sat in the drive now for 6 months.

Any help would be appreciated :)

·
Registered
60 Posts
I had that take the immobilizer of all together 2 allan boults hold it on bit of a fiddle and tap in to the live from the plug so will work when you turn key on and off one wire is earth one is live

·
Registered
3,944 Posts
Can't see what immobiliser has to do with it, usually people say immobiliser when they don't know what's wrong with itI:

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
No edit function!

Try putting the original pump on then you'll know if it's the pump
i havent got the original..hmm it could be possible its the pump, im sure i read somewhere that there are 2 screws on the pump and if these are replaced incorrectly ( opposite way round ) then that could prevent it from starting?

What 2 screws and were i aint got a scooby :*

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i havent got the original..hmm it could be possible its the pump, im sure i read somewhere that there are 2 screws on the pump and if these are replaced incorrectly ( opposite way round ) then that could prevent it from starting?

there is diesel going through to injectors when cranking it over, surely that means the pump is pumping it through, no?? like i said i aint got a scooby, just cant keep spending out so trying to find a solution so i can try and do it myself mate. T:

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thats the point i dont know whats wrong with it, im just guessing. :D
couldnt post normally had to quote a previous post :*

Anyhoo i have replacement diesel stop solenoid, this could possibly be the problem, were i would find this is another story!!

Any pictures on here or anywhere showing were the solenoid is so i can replace it please?

Read quite a bit about it but not seen any pics of where and how to, a point in the right direction would be cool T:

·
Registered
494 Posts
Solonid sits at the rear of the pump on the upper surface very near the injector pipes. A test would be to turn on the ign and with the bonnet up standing by the engine you should hear it click.the fault may be a bad connection that moves when the engine fires. You could loosen an injector pipe start it when it stops crank the engine over and see if diesel keeps coming out, if it does it may well be a timing issue

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Solonid sits at the rear of the pump on the upper surface very near the injector pipes. A test would be to turn on the ign and with the bonnet up standing by the engine you should hear it click.the fault may be a bad connection that moves when the engine fires. You could loosen an injector pipe start it when it stops crank the engine over and see if diesel keeps coming out, if it does it may well be a timing issue
Cheers mate ill give that a go tomorrow T:

·
Registered
494 Posts

what youve read is the bolts that conect the bandjoe bolts on the fuel inlet and outlet pipes on the pump.the outlet one has out stamped on the flat surface and goes on the return fuel pipe it should have a valve in it where as the inlet one is gust straight through

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Update, still not starting,replaced ignition switch, now its cranking, will fire eventually then die!!!

replacement pump when fitted engine started and ran fine, then discovered a leak!! this pump was then removed and rebuilt, then refitted by the same guy who fitted it with no problem 1st time round, he did all the timing and its all spot on so i was told, but it wont fire!!
Fuel is being pumped through when cranking, visually see this in the clear pipe to pump, and diesel getting through to injectors.

Pump Solenoid is on a direct feed to battery, and a clear audible clicking can be heard from solenoid.

As i have mentioned before, ive read about 2 screws if swapped when rebuilding pump will cause failure to start, but then would fuel get pumped to injectors??

Pump immobilizer possibly?? but surely it wouldnt of started when 1st fitted??

At a complete loss now, ive got a new stop solenoid and tried fitting it weekend, but just couldnt get in there to crank it loose, and it clicks!!

Any help appreciated, im asking everywhere at the minute to try and finally get this on the road after over 6 months sitting in my driveT:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts