VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi guys got a right blow coming from around the exhaust manifold on my 2000 1.9td, looks and sounds like the gasket has gone, what sort of a job is this to do for a reasonably competent home mechanic? what are the pitfalls and what do i need to order aswell as the exhaust manifold gasket, done a search on here and seen a few people have asked a similar question but there were no answers on the threads, please helps its getting embarrassing driving round now with the noise it makes..I:

·
Registered
3,910 Posts
I`ll have a go then
I can`t picture U`r engine right now as I only remember this engine from a 35i:)

U could start by soaking all nuts & bolts
U will also need to undo the downpipe. I would, when U order parts, also look for this gasket along with ordering all nuts & bolts new. It is a pain to mess one up & the job stalls on a silly single nut:(
Be carefull undoing the manifold nuts, U do not want to damage or break the pin bolts T: Work GENTLY!! Apply copper past when reassembling T:
When disassembling, undo as "much as possible", ie clamos etc
When U reassemble all U very much want to have a mechanical stress free (The exhaust not U) mounting.
This has also to do with how the exhaust expands under heat. I very rescently lay under a Corsa, having to reweld most of the exhaust due to stress-cracks. U don`t want that, rest assured :)

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
Never tried myself while in situ but to be honest I would think it's a bloody mare of a job !!!!!
Downpipe will come off easy enough 2 x "C" clips but manifold nuts will probably be very rusty and not the original size and shape !!!
Not sure there is room to pull it off its studs with the turbo still on it so that may have to come off first too !!!!!
All said and done i think unless you can get it up on a ramp I would be inclined to pull the engine and box out do it on the floor and refit,that can be done in a day
Sorry but thats just my spin on it

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Think i have had a lucky escape had another look at it last night and found one of the nuts loose on the side it was blowing, a little tighten and hey presto no more embarrasing blow, realised just in time as was going to book it into a garage next week after hearing it can be a pig of a job..:D

1 - 4 of 4 Posts