VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello all.

My van is stuggling to start from cold. I had the glow plugs changed in March/Feb, so can't be those???

Since having the glow plugs changed the van has start fisrt time every time, and then on Thursday night it wouldn't start. There have been no slowly getting harder to start problems and it not starting from cold has some what come out of the blue.

I have checked out the glow plug relay (no.104 bottom right of fuse board) and this seems to be fine. I have opened up the relay, clean the contact and put a multimeter across it. Also have had it installed in the van and watched it closed when the ignition turned on. I also have by-passed the relay for about 15 seconds and the van still hard to start.

Still on the relay, how long should the relay remane closed after the van has started? As mine seems to stay closed, is this right or are there any other problems, such as the glow plugs beeing dead already as they have always been on.

I've yet to check the current at the glow plugs, but will have a bash at this when i get some time.

Any tips on checking the current at the glow plugs would be welcome.

Or is there something else i should be checking??

Thanks
Dave

·
Registered
1 Posts
Yeah having same problem atm did you find out what it was I've had full service a 4week ago and was fine till about 2 days ago and now it's hard to start cranks over and over for few mins before it starts

Thanks dan

·
Registered
59 Posts
Check the glow plug fuse in the engine bay, it's on the side and in a plastic cover, above the drivers side inner arch if my memory serves me correctly.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts