VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All - I'm looking for some help (again !) :D

We have just got back from a 2 week tour of Brittany - 1000 miles (almost) without incident - and had a great time.

The only dampener was a slight mishap with my oil filler pipe.

I recently had an intercooler fitted, and the guy who did it fabricated an "extension" to the plastic filler neck made from alloy tubing, so the the filler cap was pushed up to the same level as the intercooler. However, due to the vibration/weight of the plastic filler neck on top of the alloy on, the fabricated alloy tube broke off. I managed to crate a temporary repair out of the broken alloy neck, but this means I now have to unbolt the oil filler tube to top up with oil. (I hope that makes sense - difficult to explain without pictures !!)

What I was wondering was;

1) what have other 1.9TD owners who have had an intercooler fitted done to allow access to top up the oil ??
2) will a genuine VW oil filler neck from a pukka 1.9TDI do the job (i.e. is it extended and shaped) ??
3) does anyone have any photo's of either of the above ??

Thanks in advance

Frank

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
Hi mate

Ive seen another T4 1.9 Td intercooler conversion on here & he used a rubber corrugated type tube which "i Think" the original had been cut in half using the top section Eg: screw on filler cap slid over the the rubber pipe / onto the exciting oil filler neck using decent jubilee clips,,i know all the theory in oil rotting rubber but its summat & nowt to keep an eye on & replace when needed if at any time it does,,hope this helps,,,i"ll have a look to see if i can find the pictureT:

cheers Rick:)

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the responses guys.

I've had a think, and I'm gonna cut the origonal filler neck in half, get two silicone hoses of the same diameter with a 45 degree bend in them, joined by a bit of pipe, and then attach each end of the filler neck to the hose/tube arrangement. I can then bolt it back on using the origional nuts and hey presto !!

Hopefully, it will work and look quite nice too !!

Frank

·
Premium Member
2,044 Posts
Hi mate

Ive seen another T4 1.9 Td intercooler conversion on here & he used a rubber corrugated type tube which "i Think" the original had been cut in half using the top section Eg: screw on filler cap slid over the the rubber pipe / onto the exciting oil filler neck using decent jubilee clips,,i know all the theory in oil rotting rubber but its summat & nowt to keep an eye on & replace when needed if at any time it does,,hope this helps,,,i"ll have a look to see if i can find the pictureT:

cheers Rick:)
Where can i get an exciting oil filler neck for my van? The one I'm using now isn't any fun at all:D

1 - 5 of 5 Posts