VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys

just touching mi toes in the water I:

if i were to go down the 1.9TDI conversion out of all the diesel VW"s which should i be looking at Eg: Model Age/Engine codes

plus i suppose i should also be looking at MOT failure vdubs to keep costs down "Ish" :dunno:

what kinda power/grunt/ecconomy should i expect over what Ive got now/what can be achieved without going spending mad ?? T::)

thanks Rick

·
Registered
643 Posts
Hi guys

just touching mi toes in the water I:

if i were to go down the 1.9TDI conversion out of all the diesel VW"s which should i be looking at Eg: Model Age/Engine codes

plus i suppose i should also be looking at MOT failure vdubs to keep costs down "Ish" :dunno:

what kinda power/grunt/ecconomy should i expect over what Ive got now/what can be achieved without going spending mad ?? T::)

thanks Rick
golf / seat 1Z or AHU engine usually from 1994 to 2000 models. they are all 90 bhp units that can be remapped/chipped to what ever your budget allows.

look at aggiet4 thread on the conversion.

i have done my swap for less than £1000 inc all extras needed ( ic and pipework, cam belt kit and 5th gear swap ) and paying someone to do the block swap. difference is fantastic more power better fuel and more fun to drive.
would have saved the labour bill if i had the balls to tackle it myself but as i got my donor motor cheap i used the rest of the budget to pay someone.

·
Registered
335 Posts
i have also just done thins, and the wsap totalled only £190.00 - and thats including a new oil filter, new oil, and new coolant, front mount, pipework, and 5th gear!!!

(that is.....if you dont count the money i spent on engine rebuild parts (hat wasnt necessary to do - but done it for peace of mind)

But, i could have done it for under £200.00 easily!

Just find yourself a good cheap donor!

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
cheers guys:) sounds like the way to go,when you say block swap i take you mean removing engines from each vehicle & just putting the donor engine into the T4 engine bay ??,,as everything from the new engine needs to be used :dunno: ,,,,the engine in the van at the mo is a sound lump just wondered whether its worth anything££$$ ??,,,its a genuine 90 thou mileA no leaks nowt,,,mate of mine as a W plate passat & to be honest his engine sounds as tight as a duck bottom T: "Ex Taxi" from his fathering inlaw & he"s no boy racer but he says it pulls like a train,so it just goes to show these motors will do big mileage;)

·
Registered
643 Posts
i have also just done thins, and the wsap totalled only £190.00 - and thats including a new oil filter, new oil, and new coolant, front mount, pipework, and 5th gear!!!

(that is.....if you dont count the money i spent on engine rebuild parts (hat wasnt necessary to do - but done it for peace of mind)

But, i could have done it for under £200.00 easily!

Just find yourself a good cheap donor!
what did your donor cost rixy ......... and i had it sat in the back of the garage dont count LOL:

a good buget for a mk3 goof tdi is in the region of £500 ( alot have increased in their value due to the scrap scheme :* )

·
Registered
1,475 Posts
my donor was a woping £135 off fleebay T: 2 months mot 4 months tax well 3 months when i cashed it in and got 46 quid refund, did all the hard work myself so im a very happy chappie :D

·
Registered
335 Posts
mine was £100.00 but i went half with my mate who needed gearbox - so the complete engine setup cost only £50.00, plus i managed to sell my old ABL engine for over 150.00....

£100.00 for complete mot failure passat, 50 back for gearbox, 150 back for original engine, and i still gotta weigh the car in yet, so there's poss another hundred there......

So at the end, the whole conversion will have cost me....

urmmmmmm....

I'll be quids in - i reckon £200.00 up ish??
So - its financially better, and its a better engine, and mines currently doin about 38mpg - no lose situation!!!

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
my donor was a woping £135 off fleebay T: 2 months mot 4 months tax well 3 months when i cashed it in and got 46 quid refund, did all the hard work myself so im a very happy chappie :D
cant grumble at that mate sounds like you"ve done it without spending tonnes of brass A: exellentT:

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
mine was £100.00 but i went half with my mate who needed gearbox - so the complete engine setup cost only £50.00, plus i managed to sell my old ABL engine for over 150.00....

£100.00 for complete mot failure passat, 50 back for gearbox, 150 back for original engine, and i still gotta weigh the car in yet, so there's poss another hundred there......

So at the end, the whole conversion will have cost me....

urmmmmmm....

I'll be quids in - i reckon £200.00 up ish??
So - its financially better, and its a better engine, and mines currently doin about 38mpg - no lose situation!!!
,,,,,& good for you buddyA: its good when things work out for the better & not costing loadsT: well its gunna after be a TDI then i well let all you helpful folk know as soon as iam up & running with the T D I project,,,,,,aren't VDubs brilliant:db

·
Meithered to death
2,859 Posts
My mk3 golf TDi cost £90 i removed everything i required sold off lots of other parts for around £150 total and scrapped the remains for £50,i also sold my old ABL engine for £150
So i made £240 doing my conversion A:
If only i could do that every week:D

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
My mk3 golf TDi cost £90 i removed everything i required sold off lots of other parts for around £150 total and scrapped the remains for £50,i also sold my old ABL engine for £150
So i made £240 doing my conversion A:
If only i could do that every week:D
,,,,,,lol:) i know exactly what you mean mate on my travels i come across a rally prep firm not far from where i live,,
one thing lead to another they wanted rid of lots of what they called junk/scrap & with brass been tight credit crunch & all that **** loaded the van with literally stacked full of subaru impreza damaged rally wheels 2hrs work £120 then another van load of panels & allsorts 3 hrs work £100 & again what they called scrap brand new fronts/rear suspension strunt from the new generation impreza so ive a shed full of strunts waiting for the new gen impreza boys to start requiring them "ebay Jobby" in total £4500 from subaru,,,mad what folk chuck out oh plus my 2 1/2" side exit exhaust i managed to fab up sweeeeeeetT::),,,,as you say if only that could happen every weekY:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts