VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi guys and gals, ive had my x reg 1.9td 800 special just over a year now. full service history cambelt been done runs fine. noticed it lacks power up until 2500 revs then picks power up, on start up i can press the pedal all the way down without it revving straite away a second later it will pick up. any tips advice the engine is standard and has just topped 190000 miles.

·
Registered
931 Posts
you could start by checking there's no slack in the throttle cable. get someone to see if it moves the throttle as soon as you press the peddle. it might need adjustment.

you say press the peddle all the way down..... my van had something under the accelerator to stop it being floored. I think it was an economy measure. once unscrewed it ran much better...A:

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Sounds like classic symptoms of a siezed throttle cable.
These vans have a spring link in a canister at the top of the cable. This allows the throttle arm on the pump to open slowly and smoothly under the control of a damper piston. When the cable gets worn or seized, the action of the pedal just compresses the spring, and the throttle arm takes ages to catch up, and sometimes won't open fully.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
sorted this problem whoo oohh. decided to take a look i checked the peddle and there was that much spare play in it, it could be pushed half way down till it tightened enough to open the pump. i opened the bonnet and followed the cable rd to the pump pulled the slackness out and replaced the pin that holds it in place about 5 notches. no more spare play in the peddle took it for a spin and instant power get in yee haa. :) T: A: thanks for all the advice guys

1 - 7 of 7 Posts