VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
can anybody please tell me which model is more economical fuel wise i do alot of traveling at weekends for surf trips but also would have to use it for every day work town traveling
also got to get rid of my vectra sri first but there seems to be a lot of different views
help please
cheers
ian

·
Banned
10,255 Posts
I think it probably depends how you drive but the 1.9td has the added benefit of be able to run on veg oil or bio diesel without modification..:)

·
Registered
520 Posts
General consensus is that there is little in it for fuel economy, logic is that whilst the bigger engine will use more fuel, than the smaller engine, you don't need to thrash it so can drive it more economically. 2.5 will be nicer to drive as it will pick up speed quicher, have more power and generally drive a little smoother, whilst the 1.9 is a much simpler engine so cheaper and easier to service and repair, also more to tweak on the engine if that's your thing.

Try and test drive a few, see what you think.

·
Premium Member
1,496 Posts
If you get a 1.9 you'll always wonder if a 2.5 would have been better.

Get just under 40mpg on my 2.5 (driven sensibly). TDI's all the way I say.T:

·
Registered
46 Posts
I have also owned 2 or more of each over the years and agree that the 1.9 is more fuel efficient, but only very very slightly. The 2.5tdi however is much much better to drive. Absolutely no contest in my opinion. Get the 2.5tdi, if you get a good one you won't be disappointed.

·
Banned
10,255 Posts
Diesel is getting more and more expensive, parts are going up in price also, so would it be safe to assume that although the 2.5 is a more refined and powerful engine it does come at a price. I've owned many a quick car but have also owned many classic Volkswagens and other marks, The 1.9td IMO has the same kind of qualities as the later, bucket loads of character, and can be maintained and run cheaply. It comes down to personal choice in the end and how you want to drive and approach your road use in general..:cool: 's usually enough...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts