VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks,

Took my van for mot today i was in 2 minds whether to back the fuel off a bit, but decided not to... to see if it would pass the smoke test with it fuelled up.... IT DIDNT... :(...

Also failed on ball joint and rack end.... and advisories on rear discs and tinted front windows....so not bad really...

All good....:D.... just gotta turn the fuel down for retest, and then straight back up with it...

Ant....:ILU:

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
hiya m8 does turning the fuel up make much differense if it does how do you do it cause my 1.9td needs a serious power boost it dont like the hills in cornwal lol thanks plus do you no of any other mods i can do to get it goin a bit quicker ive put a k&n air filter in it thats all really,

great to here of some one tryin to make a 1.9td go fasterT:A:

·
Registered
3,273 Posts
Sorry mate, but if you've failed a smoke test, then I think you have more issues than just needing to back the fuel screw off!

Mine runs around 1.4-1.9 on the MOT smoke tests (where the legal limit is 3.0) and that's with the screw wound RIGHT in to the point where the revs on idle are the only limiting factor.

No idea where best to start, but I'd say a good service might be in order and then go from there.......

EDIT : @ Pearly Whites - pay your tenner subscription and you'll have access to the tech articles that show you how to do the fuel/boost mod on the 1.9 TD :)

·
Registered
2,418 Posts
funny, mines just failed as well.

it only failed because the exhaust is too loud/non standard(theres a video of it on the exhaust sound thread) they said nothing about it being a side exit but they test it by comparing to a recording of a similar standard sounding exhaust. im bloody baffled as it aint loud at all.:confused:

the advisorys were-

ns mirror cracked
oil leak
rear disks corroded
corrosion on brake pipes
ball joint boots split on both sides

at least i got the back half of the exhaust that i took off, just gona have to put it back on now.:(

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sorry mate, but if you've failed a smoke test, then I think you have more issues than just needing to back the fuel screw off!

Mine runs around 1.4-1.9 on the MOT smoke tests (where the legal limit is 3.0) and that's with the screw wound RIGHT in to the point where the revs on idle are the only limiting factor.

No idea where best to start, but I'd say a good service might be in order and then go from there.......

EDIT : @ Pearly Whites - pay your tenner subscription and you'll have access to the tech articles that show you how to do the fuel/boost mod on the 1.9 TD :)
Sorry but your wrong....nowt wrong with my engine... i know for a fact that it's just too much fuel.... defo nowt else, when i back fuel off it will be fine... Rasp:...

cheers...

Ant...T:

·
Registered
1,668 Posts

it only failed because the exhaust is too loud/non standard(theres a video of it on the exhaust sound thread) they said nothing about it being a side exit but they test it by comparing to a recording of a similar standard sounding exhaust. im bloody baffled as it aint loud at all.:confused:

Crikey, glad I didn't take my velle to the same garage!!!I: mine's louder than stock.

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I've never heard such a thing.... comparing a recorded sound to your exhaust...:confused:

I know of cars that are very very loud and i mean :* loud and pass mots no probs...

The tester you used sounds like a right numpty to me....

Ant...T:

·
Registered
2,418 Posts
apparently tis a new thing that only came in a month ago, you cant argue with the testers especialy once they have logged in on the computer , just wont take it back next year.Rasp:

·
Premium Member
1,257 Posts

The actual wording in the fail criteria is "significantly louder" than a standard system...

It's another one of those items that falls on the head of the tester - basically it was brought in because of those dustbin silencers you see on Rice and Saxos that look like they've have crashed into Halfords - the MOT guy has to compare to a "standard" exhaust noise (but not a standard system)...

... when my exhaust went on my 1.9TD, I commented on the old forum about how sweet it sounded T: and toyed with a side exit exhaust (chickened out though)...

... personally, if I were to apply this rule to the letter I would feel more inclined to fail those cheapy factor exhausts that are just as loud as the boy racers (and don't fit properly) - so where do you draw the line? (I test V8 TVR's, etc - need I say more :D)

My next point is that there have been noise limits in Motorsport (96db at 1 metre) for yonks, meaning that proper free flowing competition exhausts are often quieter than these cheapo power robbing factor parts (many standard MK2 XR2's would fail this noise test at scrutineering - one of the many factors that has killed off grass roots motorsport - you turn up but can't race!)...

Oh yes, back to the thread topic - my 1.9pp consistently fast passes the smoke test (a fast pass means only one rev up is necessary)...

1.9's need frequent 6,000 mile oil changes and I can recommend the latest 5w/40 low ash synthetic oils - check out your nearest dealer for the latest Quantum PD oil, which they've made into a universal oil for petrol and diesel replacing the 5w/40 PD, 15w/40 TD and 10w/40 Synta - I've been using PD oil for the last 3 years in my 180,000 miler...

·
Registered
2,418 Posts
The actual wording in the fail criteria is "significantly louder" than a standard system...
thats what it said but they only have drop down menus on the computer to say why its a fail. it doesnt nessicarely mean its significantly louder(very loud). thats the only option the tester has if he thinks its louder than it should be. see what you think-

anyway, its mot'd now, just gota put the side exit end piece back on:D

·
Registered
634 Posts
Hi folks,

Took my van for mot today i was in 2 minds whether to back the fuel off a bit, but decided not to... to see if it would pass the smoke test with it fuelled up.... IT DIDNT... :(...

Also failed on ball joint and rack end.... and advisories on rear discs and tinted front windows....so not bad really...

All good....:D.... just gotta turn the fuel down for retest, and then straight back up with it...

Ant....:ILU:

Try bunging 20 litres of cooking oil in if it's a non PD engine that will lower the emissions significantly. Took mine from 2.8 to 1.3!!

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
This thread has been brought from the dead...

Never fancied putting cooking oil in me van...:)...

And cant see me doing it anytime soon....

My van went through MOT few days later, i just backed the fuel down and it went through...T:...

·
Registered
2,418 Posts
i recently read that putting two stroke oil in with your diesel makes a big differance and is done often in america. makes a big improvement on the running also, google it but it was somthing like 300ml to 70L

1 - 20 of 28 Posts