VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,272 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
1.9TD which runs fine but is a poor starter from stone cold, only starting with the cold start lever but runs fine when warm.

Fitted new cambelt and all timed up seemingly fine but still a reluctant cold start without the lever.

So bit the bullet and got the dial gauge out and checked it; was set at 0.86 so advanced it to 0.91. This seems to have helped a little although not quite starting as well as others I have had.

http://www.vwt4forum.co.uk/picture.php?albumid=24121&pictureid=400153

Wondered what the wisdom was of advancing further as the factory figure is 0.9 ?
Hoping Reg Cheesman might be along shortly!

I found that there was a vacuum in the diesel tank so modified the cap which has solved this for the moment but did this before the cambelt etc and don't think it is connected.

Before doing the advancet the engine would just fire and then die without the cold start almost immediately almost like an engine short of fuel, but obviously wasn't because with the cold start it would fire instantly.

·
Premium Member
1,272 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
I wondered if the glow plugs could be weak; looked newish from the outside, but as I had a set thought I would try them.

New set fitted and fired instantly with no cold startT:

Three of the glow plugs were sooty so guess they were not working.

Seems that the cold start lever could add sufficient advance to mask this defect making me think it was timing related.

Still be interested to know other peoples experiences on timing figures for pump lift though. I am content to leave it at 0.91 for now .

Image uploading. Refresh page to view

1 - 2 of 2 Posts