VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am about to tackle this job with my brother in law (early next week) and I just wondered if I could ask for some advice as I am dreading it!!

I need to remove the whole turbo including the cast iron housing, as I need to transfer this to the new turbo before refitting to the van.

I want to know if I DEFINATELY have to remove the exhaust manifold and then separate it from the turbo off the van?

Is there ANY way of removing the turbo from the manifold in situ on the van or is it impossible to get to the bolts??

Elsawin suggests that the manifold and turbo need to be removed as one and then separated off the van??

If the exhaust manifold has to come off I guess I will need 4 x new gaskets? I was also going to buy 8 x new studs and nuts? I guess I will also need a new inlet manifold gasket? I will also need new copper washers and a gasket for the oil feed pipes to the turbo T:

I have done loads of searches on the internet and on the forum, but there seems to be very little info on this job

Is removing the exhaust manifold a real pig of a job?

I am also worried about the crusty looking bolts which connect the EGR pipe to the exhaust manifold??

Any advice would be very gratefully received! I really can't afford for the garage to do this job!

Alpenweiss2

·
Registered
518 Posts
around the turbo inlet manifold area spends its life getting very hot then cold.so lots of horrible rusty nuts and bolts.ive never done this job only on old minis.but lots of wd40 soaking around and good spanners and sockets not cheap rubbish,is best bet.ive read some were the whole lot has to come off.

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
The exhaust manifold is relatively straight forward the inlet manifold is a different matter. You need the dexterity of an Octopus and the hands the size of a 2 year old child. :D
I have taken the turbo off 3 times now without taking off the manifolds it can be done but you will need a comprehensive tool kit and the patience of a watchmaker as not to damage the turbines when re-assembling.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The exhaust manifold is relatively straight forward the inlet manifold is a different matter. You need the dexterity of an Octopus and the hands the size of a 2 year old child. :D
I have taken the turbo off 3 times now without taking off the manifolds it can be done but you will need a comprehensive tool kit and the patience of a watchmaker as not to damage the turbines when re-assembling.

Hey Teagle...I'd like to hear more!!T: I have discussed in another thread the possibility of separating the CHRA and cool side of the turbo from the cast iron housing in situ on the van. I need to swap over the turbine housings anyway. How easy hard is this to do on the van for a first timer. I have a brand new Garrett turbo and don't want to damage the turbines!!:(

I have read this :-

http://www.vwt4forum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=80466

and it looks straightforward..but obviously it's much more difficult to do this on the van. Any advice you can give...how long did it take you?

I really don't fancy tackling the inlet and exhaust manifolds :(

Cheers Alpenweiss2

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.