VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there,

I picked up a 97 1.9td 800 special about a month ago and its been fine running, starting etc except on two occasions so far! Usually it starts up on the first turn of the key, sometimes i have to use the cold start a bit, no worries.
I jumped in the van about a week ago and it was turning over fine but wouldnt fire up, i was trying long enough that the battery didnt want to know anymore and was barely turning it over. two days later i thought i would give it another try and it started up first time with just a bit of cold start:D.
It then started up fine for over a week, went to VW action, used it on the monday (started up first time) but on wednesday i got the same thing, turning over but wont catch. I noticed that if i had the cold start out when i stopped turning it over i heard a grinding noise (starter motor?):(
I know nada about these engines except its up the front so any pointers would be much appreciated!

·
Registered
276 Posts
i know nothing, but my engine was struggling to catch, because the vent in the diesel cap was blocked, causing a vacuum in the tank, every time the engine stopped, it would suck the diesel back out of the engine, into the tank.

Just a thought (and a free test :)) if it doesnt turn over, open the diesel cap, if it's really tight and wooshes when you open it, could be the answer.

·
Registered
470 Posts
I would check (or get checked)

the glow plugs

and the timing

both require a degree of spanner ability but glow plugs are more fiddly than technical.

Theres guides for both things in the tech guide section T:

·
Registered
57 Posts
I've found out that the crank position on the key doesn't always power the fuel pump cut-off valve if you are a bit gentle on the key.
Make sure you turn the key hard, all the way to the stop when cranking.
Then check the valve and anti-theft bit on top of it. A bit of meter work and if the power is getting there, but not through it a bit of chisel technology may be next on the list. (Mine went to a wheelie bin a couple of years back.Off on hols in a couple of hours so if you reply and hear nowt, well that's the reason.

Good luck.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Old thread I know but it would be great to know if you ever worked this out? Have got very similar head-scratching symptoms

·
Registered
1,825 Posts
Old thread I know but it would be great to know if you ever worked this out? Have got very similar head-scratching symptoms
Try easy start, if it goes check injectors for fueling, if no fuel at injectors would suspect fuel immobiliser.
Do a search lots of info on here.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts