VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, anyone done this? If so, what special tools did you use and where did you get them? There seems to be a few types out there and I'd rather buy ones that someone has experience of. Also Any recommendations on which timing belt kit to get?
Thanks van chums :)

Registered
rusty heap ('95 t4)
I have a sykes timing kit that works on 1x abl 1z ahu etc engines, you are welcome to borrow it T:
as to belts, theres only a few manufacturer's so what box means little to quality, I prefer gates if it helps :cool:

Rich.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thats a very generous offer, but I cant borrow another mans tools ;) Sykes one looks the same as the draper one. I presume you've done the job yourself, so is it as much of a faff as the books make out, or as usual, its not half as bad in real life?

Registered
rusty heap ('95 t4)
Easy enough, access is a pain as there is a van in the way I:
Rocker cover off, find timing mark on flywheel, fit pin in pump pulley & lock-plate in end of cam (set equil hight with feeler-blades), loosen cam-pulley bolt & 'free' the pulley from its taper (hole in timing cover, hammer & drift), remove belt.
You don't need to touch the big bolt in the crank that holds the belt-pulley on, just the 4 Allen / torx bolts that secure the alt / w-pump & p-steering pump pulleys to access the cover & to remove the belt

Easy (except stoping the rocker-cover leaking after LOL: )

Rich.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thought that was the case, workshop manuals tend to be a bit long winded as they have to I suppose. Can't be anymore difficult or messy than a cv boot or a rear shock bolt seized in the bloody shock. Love the van, but everything I've tried to do the last 3 weeks has had seized bloody bolts. Only ever changed a timing chain on a petrol car before, with the engine out. I like a challenge though :)

Registered
rusty heap ('95 t4)
I like a challenge though :)
joys of vw ownership I:

but seriously, the belt change is easy, getting enough enthusiasm is different thing altogether LOL:

Rich.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts