VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
634 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I started my newly converted 1.9tdi conversion this evening. Its started on the second attempt. Very happy, even though its sounds like a bag of spanners due to me not putting the c clamps back on the exhaust yet and perhaps the timing.

It threw up a few fault codes, one relating to the intercooler inlet temp sensor, of which I don't have yet. I'm going to have to source a sensor, I have a FMIC coming from ebay.

The other fault codes are: 01242 and 00741.

One thing I have noticed is that when the ignition is off, the glow plug light flashes dimly. I'm not sure if it's something to do with not have the rear light clusters installed at the moment, as the van is going for paint soon I hope.

Thanks to all who have replied to my posts over the last month and thanks to the people who have created all of the documentation. I would never have been able to do it without such a fantastic resource.

·
Registered
152 Posts
I had a similar problem, check the engine earthing wire, think it's brown and White, it should bolt onto the engine where the water temp sensor is, have a look at my fmic thread if ya need any ideas, welcome to the TDI world T:

·
Registered
634 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I got the exhaust clips on last night, fairly easy with the home made expander tool. I think it would be near impossible with out something to expand the c clips. Also tightened the top engine mountings. It sounds a lot better.

I have just one coolant hose to reconnect, it's the one that goes from the t piece near the expansion tank to the side of the ABL head. I'm trying to re-route it down to the pipe flange on the front of the 1z engine, however the pipe is a few inches too short? Does anyone know the size of this pipe's internal diameter? Hopefully the sell it in meter length in the motor factors.

I should probably check the timing in vag-com next. It seems to start really well, but it's worth checking anyway. I was suprised it started fisrt time as I changed the timing belt without any of the special locking and alignment tools. I used a pieces of 15mm copper pipe to lock the inject pump in place, made sure the TDC was aligned on the fly wheel mark and used a piece of 4mm thick aluminium to hold the camshaft in place. make sure that the lobes of the cam on the sprocket end of the engine were both pointing up.

I still have a dim flashing glow plug light when the ignition is off. Maybe because my rear light clusters are off???

The coolant temp dial is off the scale at the moment because there is no coolant in the system yet, in addtion to that the fuel gauge seems to be stuck way over full. It looks like the cooland pointer is crossing the fuel pointer. I hope this will be sorted when I add the coolant.

·
Registered
634 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I still have a problem with the gauges and LCD not working on the dash. The fuel, temp and speedo all read max and there is nothing happening on the LCD screen.

I've checked the ground on the mulitplug bracket, and check for continuity from the bracket to the negative terminal.

There is only one fault code coming up related the inlet temp, that because I have no intercooler connected yet. The engine is running fine.

Can anyone help please?

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
Dodgy dash is probably because the bracket in the wiring loom multiplug needs to be grounded - it's a steel bracket and it needs to be bolted to ground.

I had the same problem coz I had just cable tied mine temporarily...

Welcome tithe club too! I just got a new sprinter FMIC to fit as I've been lazy and riding with the golf one for 6 months...

·
Registered
634 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi, thanks for your reply. The multiplug bracket is bolted to the engine and has continuity to ground. Anything else that I should check?

·
Registered
634 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I've now fixed this problem, after looking at the wiring diagram on the vw books website. The gauges were previously earthed via plug g1 pin 5. The harness from the 1z didn't have any wires leading to this plug and pin. I added the wire in and connected to the earth block, hey presto, all of the clocks are working.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts