VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just taken my van in as on top of alot of other issues I now have a leak coming from the back of the fuel pump and have been told that a new one will cost around £1000 because the engine is an AHU from a mark 3 golf and they are discontinued / even if I get a second hand one it would need to be tested which would cost in the region of £3-400.
On top of this there are loose wires in the engine bay/ new vacuum pipes are needed and the cam belt will need to be changed so been quoted around £1400 for this to be put right.
Have any of you 1.9tdi connverts had problems like this before and can you recommend which course of action to take as I'm not that sure?
D

·
Registered
243 Posts
Are the folks who told you all this for real, s/hand pump approx 150 quid , pump bench test here at bosch agents 45 euros, 3 hours max fitting pump if it takes them any longer do an impersonation of Alan Sugar, if your pump is leaking out the lid the seal kit is available for less than 20 quid but you need a special socket to remove one of the bolts.

·
Premium Member
2,102 Posts
Just taken my van in as on top of alot of other issues I now have a leak coming from the back of the fuel pump and have been told that a new one will cost around £1000 because the engine is an AHU from a mark 3 golf and they are discontinued / even if I get a second hand one it would need to be tested which would cost in the region of £3-400.
On top of this there are loose wires in the engine bay/ new vacuum pipes are needed and the cam belt will need to be changed so been quoted around £1400 for this to be put right.
Have any of you 1.9tdi connverts had problems like this before and can you recommend which course of action to take as I'm not that sure?
D
Give me a shout tomorrow bud. I'm sure it won't cost that much.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
HI mate, getting it fixed through a company recommendation from my garage so don't think they'll be trying to rip me off.
Have found out that the price of the pump is actually (only) £700 so less than expected. But still going to need it fitting, the cam belt doing, all the electrics tidying up , there are various wires floating around the engine bay that need reconnecting and various other issues that have been discovered including a sheared bolt on the mounting bracket that holds the power sterring pump in place so that's gonna be a fun job to get to. Explains why I've been having a belt squeal for the last few months though even though the p/s pulley, pump and belt have been changed. I was wondering why it's been driving like a dog recently and this explains it. Just glad it was caught in time before the combination of leaking fuel and uninsulated live wires made it into a moving barbecue.
The timing is also out and the turbo isn't getting enough air to it as well. Apprently I'm gonna need an ecu that hasn't been chipped to get this spot on so if anybody has a spare I could borrow for a day it'd be appreciated T:

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just been on the phone to the garage and been told that the current pump fitted is a Bosch eedc 0460404085 fuel pump and has a large black plug coming off it which is different from a 1z pump and why it is so expensive to replace ???

·
Registered
767 Posts
sounds like a load of old b****x to me mate, their having you on, as already said a second hand pump 150 notes , new belt and fitting 300 max but if you get the pump changes then theyll have to remove the belt anyway

1 - 6 of 6 Posts