VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 275 Posts

·
Meithered to death
2,859 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello i just bought a 1995 golf TDI 90 donor car and i am soon to be installing the motor into my T4(currently ABL 1.9TD).Has anyone done this conversion before? Any help and advise will be welcome to help me aviod any unforeseen pitfalls.Thanks!

Turns out im the only one on the forum to have done this conversion then? I wont say it was easy but it was more timeconsuming than difficult!
So who's going to be the next one to convert to 1.9TDI?

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Re: 1.9TDI conversion into 1.9TD Help?

not done one myself yet but it should'nt be too bad, i take it you have the full donor car? if so just make sure you label everything when taking the engine out and the same with your van, the engine mounts should be the same/simular its just the engine wiring loom you will need to splice into the van.

tom

·
Meithered to death
2,859 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

Thanks! i just read the german thread my girlfriend translated it for me,doesnt give much info but a few little tips. Thinkin that the golf engine leans back and the van engine leans forward i will probably have to swap the sump and oil pick up pipe and possible the oil pump if the pick up pipe is integrated into the pump.The dipstick maybe a problem too as the TDI engine has it at the front and could be hard to get to installed in the T4,maybe i will have to drill the TDI motor at the back of the block and insatll the ABL dipstick and tube.Thinking the clutch and flywheel will have to be swapped over aswell as the T4 clutch diameter is greater than the golf for pulling more weight.Cam cover has a different breather system and oil filler pipe but this will be a straight swap. I plan on swapping all the original ancillaries from the ABL onto the TDI to make installation easier except for the diesel pump and turbo,thinkin of fitting a front mount intercooler from a sharan if i can find one so i dont have to chop the bumper out to get air to the golf one.
Maybe i will be the first to do this conversion in the UK who know's,i will keep you updated with the progress as the saga continues.....

·
Registered
1,641 Posts

its a shame your so far away down there in Cornwall i would love to get involved with your conversion , as i said I'm doing the same 1.9tdi myself during the winter when my vans off the road once the summer / show seasons finished .. one thing you might need to look at is the golf pedal box , the golf uses a couple of switches one on the clutch pedal to cut of the power when changing gear also a throttle position sensor on the accelerator pedal .. as far as turbo's go ,i would have to get both turbo's off but I'm sure the 1Z turbo will fit on the ABL exhaust manifold , this would make the oil supply line of thing much easier or even just use the existing ABL turbo as it's only there to produce boost ..

·
Meithered to death
2,859 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

Driven plenty of 2.5TDI's but just dont like the way they rev so slowly,never been a five pot fan unless its a S1 quattro of course! 2.5's are a big heavy lump aswell so im stickin to the four pot variety,reckon i can get around 140 bhp from one and still retain good economy and a quick reving lighter powerplant!

·
Registered
1,641 Posts

Ever thought of just buying a 2.5 tdi :dunno:

2.5's i feel are a bit over rated , dont get me wrong they're quick n all but not that quick ... and where's the challenge in just buying a 2.5 :D much better having something a little different T:

·
Meithered to death
2,859 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

Picked the golf TDI up today just after 5pm had it stripped by 8pm engine out loom out and everything else i need. Going to work in the T4 tomorrow so when i have finished working on customers cars im going to strip that out too. need to source a front mount intercooler but not an expensive one,thinking maybe a sharan TDI will do nicely if i can find one locally or on E-bay....

·
Meithered to death
2,859 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

Ok! stripped all the golf ancillaries of the TDI motor today,they both use the same turbo garrett T15 so im going to re-use the original turbo and manifold and exhaust from my T4 as it will boost to 25 psi if required although i will run it at around 15-18 psi until i can find a GT15 turbo that will safely produce 22psi all day.Ordered .216 nozzles from accros the pond today $89.99 including postage.
Noticed a gearbox noise since tuning the ABL motor this week so im gonna have to replace the bearings in it and in the diff at the same time.
Not found a suitable front mount intercooler yet except for the expensive ones from e-bay,but i'm watching a few other options for a fraction of the cost....
Anybody fitted a front mount to thier T4?

·
Registered
2,008 Posts

aggiet4's;129677 Not found a suitable front mount intercooler yet except for the expensive ones from e-bay said:
Ive got a big one off a 4wd jap........if you want it. I would sit perfectly in a bumper slot. I'll do some pics ok.

·
Registered
1,641 Posts

now your going to have to do a photo fitment guide on this .. would make most fantastic reading T:

cant wait for the winter now so i can get my 1Z 1.9tdi engine fitted to my own t4 .. A:

·
Meithered to death
2,859 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

Thanks for the offer on the intercooler but theres no way i could put anything rice (jap) on my van,i dont want to chop my bumper up to fit one either. found one from a modern LT/sprinter lined up but will probably have to make my own end tanks and pipe flanges for it to fit,will have to weigh it up properly when it arrives.
Found a GT15 turbo in canada for £152 and its unused so think i may buy that as well,they are roller bearing type and can produce 22psi of boost without harm,coupled to a large front mount intercooler and with .216 nozzles(already ordered) im expecting 140 BHP minimum! sure will kick most 2.5 arses!
Will try and take some photos of the installation when i have finally gathered all the parts i need.....

·
Meithered to death
2,859 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

Think i was watching the freelander one a few weeks ago but missed the auction end and forgot to bid,T4 Rad is pretty close to the headlamps at the top where the most room is as the rad slopes back slightly,its pretty tight along the bottom of the rad although you can relocate the power steering cooler to give more room at the top for a front mount installation.Will see how i go on with the LT/sprinter one when it arrives and let you know what mods i had to do.Ideally one from a german multivan 150BHP would be ideal but there hard to find over here...

·
Registered
2,418 Posts

its gona be tight if it will fit! my only worry is if it will cause any lag problems with the increase in volume as the turbo aint so big.:dunno:

·
Registered
1,641 Posts

its gona be tight if it will fit! my only worry is if it will cause any lag problems with the increase in volume as the turbo aint so big.:dunno:

turbo lag ?? ive had my 1.9td for getting on 18 months and i'm still waiting for the turbo to kick in .. :D

·
Registered
1,641 Posts

your running 10psi .. i can only get 8 even after adjusting / breaking the actuator

that reminds me , does anyone have a actuator for a 1.9td I:

1 - 20 of 275 Posts