VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just after some advice.im looking at buying a 1.9 TDI and was wondering what ppls thoughts or experiences were with them.are they likely to be slow old vans or more than capable of tacklin mountain roads and gettin in that 3rd lane of the motorways.also just all round opinions on them.its done 150K all help appreciatedT:

·
Somebody stop me!
11,941 Posts
He is misinformed. the 1.9TD ABL engine is the only 1.9 engine they came with (besides the non turbo one) and its a mechanical diesel unless he has done the 1Z conversion. There are only a handful of vans which have been converted and they are all on here. Seen traders selling them as TDi so many times before - all wrong!

There is tonns you can do to the 1.9abl engine to make them more powerful all of which you can do on your driveway. Search Project Power (PP) and GTD. Mine has had a pump change to the AAZ pump and a new boost pin fitted, intercooler and increased boost and goes like a rocket to how it used to!

Good luck with the hunt T:

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
just after some advice.im looking at buying a 1.9 TDI and was wondering what ppls thoughts or experiences were with them.are they likely to be slow old vans or more than capable of tacklin mountain roads and gettin in that 3rd lane of the motorways.also just all round opinions on them.its done 150K all help appreciatedT:

mountain roads and the illusive third lane .. if i were you i would be looking at getting a 2.5tdi instead .. if the 1.9td is local to you it would be well worth giving it a test drive then you can make your own mind up whether you can live with the power .. ive owned a 102bhp 2.5tdi and a 1.9td and to be honest i much prefer the 1.9td even with its lack of power .

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks for the info.the van is almost 200 mile away so not exactly local.think were gonna think it over for a week see if any more come up for sale.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I am on my 3rd 1.9, fab vans. Live in Yorkshire so no shortage of hills, as good as anything else, Also go to daughters in Gloucestershire every month, 70mph all the way.
Easy to repair, (don't have all the water pump ,belt probs that 5cyl have)
Plus 600mls to a tankfulof fuel.A:

·
Registered
3,944 Posts
I've had my 1.9 TD for over a year now, its my daily driver and it is slow as hell:( Can't handle it being so slow anymore so I am just about to do the tuning modifications so hopefully it will be more driveableT:

Jay

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Shame it's not a T5 1.9tdi
they go like s o a s I:
I had one on hire when my T4 went in for some warentee work
I found it was very swift and kept spinning up the wheels when going over white lines
My 2.5 T4 is more sedate than that untill you get her spining up in the 3000 rpm range
then it was just as fast

Andy

1 - 10 of 10 Posts