VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

Just investigating a lumpy idle and smoke on my 95 Caravelle ABL. Cleaned EGR and pipes, glow plugs but still remains. Pump looks brand new as do most other parts.

Having hand cranked pulley to TDC I can see the right hand end is 1 tooth advanced (towards me) at red marker from where it should be through the inspection hole. I have cam belt evidence within 20k and belt/tensioner looks good.

Question is - regardless of the above, I know I should probably do the lot, but I just want to adjust it 1 tooth. How easy is it to go back 1 tooth? Can someone tell me the easiest way so I don't have to touch pump just yet? I've done cambelts before but only petrol Vauxhalls.

Thanks in advance!

John

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
the abl is a simple engine to work on, timing the 1.9 is easy so it theres no issues with the infamous 'bottom pulley' slipping then I'd just buy another belt & re-set the timing (y)

timing tools are a 10mm drill bit (or similar for the injection-pump) and an angle-plate (to 'position' NOT lock) the camshaft - the camshaft pulley is to be loosened to allow it to turn to the required position (no key location on the cam, fitted on a tapered shaft) then the bolt re-tightened...

or something like that (easier to do than type!)

Rich.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
When you say angle plate to position, do you mean get it where I want it and wedge with angle then tighten? Or have I just been staring at code for too long? Cheers Rich

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
When you say angle plate to position, do you mean get it where I want it and wedge with angle then tighten? Or have I just been staring at code for too long? Cheers Rich
position.

the pulley fits the camshaft on a taper, onceeverything is aligned I 'tap' (tecnical term!) the pulley into place on the cam then tigten the securing bolt while holding the pulley. the plate is to position the cam (slot in rear end of cam, it's offset to only work in one position)

if you understand :ROFLMAO: o_O

Rich.

·
Full of Cr*p....
8,180 Posts
Always the same problem Rich....
A thousand words, or just someone to show you!

Really appreciate your input here.....I read most threads/posts, even if they don't apply to MY van.
Keep up the good work, you support the forum very well. (y)

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've just re-read this and think I geddit now. Thanks Rich. Gonna attack it this weekend methinks! Just finished the wiring job someone started so now I have LCD screen headrests! Also done the solder job on my speedo, really getting somewhere now (y)(y)(y)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts