VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just had a quick 2 day trip down to S of France, Minervois, and the 2.5 102 mapped to 127 by Chipwizzards, PP Tuning front pipe, touch of 2 stroke in a full tank and it took about a tank and a half, which has worked out at between 15 and 16p a mile.
Blooming hot down here, off for a swim in the river in lieu of aircon.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
As a Yorkshireman I foolishly translate everything into miles per gallon, but I do long term checks on consumption as a pence per mile because it makes more sense to me when planning and costing. Diesel has gone up to €1.44 = £1.14 per litre or more in France and I got down on a fill up in Dover and a small top-up here - 702 miles total. I would almost have got down on one tank but chickened out.
I did brim it in Dover.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Should be hot in September, nice month. The vindage is starting soon so there are grapes and figs all around, warm sea and rivers, a bit of a change from the UK! You'll love it.

·
Registered
400 Posts
As a Yorkshireman I foolishly translate everything into miles per gallon, but I do long term checks on consumption as a pence per mile because it makes more sense to me when planning and costing. Diesel has gone up to €1.44 = £1.14 per litre or more in France and I got down on a fill up in Dover and a small top-up here - 702 miles total. I would almost have got down on one tank but chickened out.
I did brim it in Dover.
Chris, if it's the equivalent of 1.14 in France for diesel, why would a canny Yorkshireman such as yourself brim it in Dover, rather than having enough to get across and off the ferry, then brimming it in France?I:

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Chris, if it's the equivalent of 1.14 in France for diesel, why would a canny Yorkshireman such as yourself brim it in Dover, rather than having enough to get across and off the ferry, then brimming it in France?I:
2 reasons (1) I get my VAT back on the UK fuel, (2) I thought the French fuel price was worse than it is because the pound's gone up against the Euro. So I'm actually paying about the same in the UK as France. So I don't feel quite such a plonker filling up at Dover! This is a business trip to France testing a new Flymount prototype and the new JVC Adixxion camera against the new GoPro Hero 2.
But anyone not reclaiming VAT should buy at a supermarket in France, never had any trouble with their diesel although I know some people reckon UK supermarket fuel is not good.

·
Registered
400 Posts
2 reasons (1) I get my VAT back on the UK fuel, (2) I thought the French fuel price was worse than it is because the pound's gone up against the Euro. So I'm actually paying about the same in the UK as France. So I don't feel quite such a plonker filling up at Dover! This is a business trip to France testing a new Flymount prototype and the new JVC Adixxion camera against the new GoPro Hero 2.
But anyone not reclaiming VAT should buy at a supermarket in France, never had any trouble with their diesel although I know some people reckon UK supermarket fuel is not good.
Understood. Makes perfect sense....but you can still claim the VAT on fuel you buy in France.T:

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You get paid to travel to the south of France...? Nice one - any jobs going????
:D
Flymount is our company and we have an office in France in the area we test things. Obviously it's a horrible job and we don't think anyone else would want to do it so we just plug away at it and wish we were stuck in an office in the cold and rain. When we're rich we'll get other people to do the dirty work - but not for a bit!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts