VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone running 100w/80w bulbs in a prefacelift?

Do they work with the standard loom?

Have they caused any issues?

Is it worth getting the uprated loom with them?

·
Registered
7,548 Posts
Don't do it - the extra heat will damage the reflectors & the existing wiring is hardly up to standard bulbs, let alone larger wattage ones.

Best best is to get a wiring upgrade kitthat comes with Osram Nightbreakers from one of the traders here (an alternative would be to fit the Caravelle style lights - they perform better & look better too).

·
Registered
309 Posts
Well, I have to say in my case with those bulbs there has not been any problems with overheating or
damage to reflectors. I don't drive every night, but have done some long night drives (more than 3 hrs,
a mix of high /low).
I did add relays and heavier wiring because the circuits had quite a large voltage loss, and combined with
the high wattage bulbs made an enormous difference for the better, and at a reasonable cost.
If you do fit the bulbs it would be best to do the same (relays and wiring) because more wattage means
more load on switches, etc.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, I have to say in my case with those bulbs there has not been any problems with overheating or
damage to reflectors. I don't drive every night, but have done some long night drives (more than 3 hrs,
a mix of high /low).
I did add relays and heavier wiring because the circuits had quite a large voltage loss, and combined with
the high wattage bulbs made an enormous difference for the better, and at a reasonable cost.
If you do fit the bulbs it would be best to do the same (relays and wiring) because more wattage means
more load on switches, etc.
so get the uprated loom on here first?

·
Special Rapporteur
10,306 Posts
They aren't legal for road use in the UK - maximum permitted is 60/55W.

I think there may be a case for classic cars (70's and earlier) to use higher power than this, but certainly any vehicle made this century cannot legally do so.

·
Registered
309 Posts
maybe better to follow triffics advice, but if you go ahead anyway, yes use the uprated wiring.

In Australia they may not be legal either, but although mine are very good, they are positively
dull compared to the searchlights some have fitted as headlights here. I haven't had any
problems at rego time so far.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts