VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am planning to convert a T4 into a day van/camper. Just considering the electrics. These days you can get just about everying in 12 v. Is there any real need to have 240v in the van at all?

·
Premium Member
482 Posts
I am planning to convert a T4 into a day van/camper. Just considering the electrics. These days you can get just about everying in 12 v. Is there any real need to have 240v in the van at all?
240 is good for high draw things like heaters etc. Also good if you want to use a charger to top up your leisure battery when plugged in.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Why would you not install 240v? You have the best of both worlds if you do! 12v when you pull up someware or the use of 240 hook up if you goto a camp site. That way, once you do complete your setup you won't be kicking yourself wishing you allowed for a 240v hook up.:)

·
Registered
4,018 Posts
240v wiring only really makes sense to me if you have a hefty inverter too, for those times when you don't have a 12v charger for something. Guess if you spend the majority of your time on sites with a hookup, it's not an issue.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Why would you not install 240v? You have the best of both worlds if you do! 12v when you pull up someware or the use of 240 hook up if you goto a camp site. That way, once you do complete your setup you won't be kicking yourself wishing you allowed for a 240v hook up.:)
Would it not be feasible to use a converter so when hooked up to 240v the 12v would be available and also you could charge the battery?

·
jabby fingered, worn nubbed, ginger ninja
12,080 Posts
the only reason i'm going to fit 230v to my next project is for a socket for an oil filled rad and a trickle charger for the leisure battery, everything else will be 12v.

·
Registered
4,464 Posts
Pretty much everything in our van is 12V, powered by 2 x 110a leisure batteries and 100w of solar panels. I have a 230v hookup which runs a good quality marine battery charger.

The latest project is a built in console that fits behind the front seats and forward between the seats housing a 500w skirting radiator and a 1200w / 2400w fan heater. I've had it on test for a while and it kicks out plenty of heat on the 1200w setting without getting near it's maximum safe operating temperature. When it's completed, we will have the luxury of a blown air heating system in the winter when there's main hookup available. So far, the total cost is about £50. Unlike my conversion, I'm taking pics as I go along, so I'll post some up when I'm done. Like Meatball, I reckon the only thing you need 230v for is heat. You should be able to run everything else off 12v for most of the time.

Al.

·
Registered
1,861 Posts
I had a hook up in my last van for 2 years and only ever used it to charge the 12v leisure battery on my drive!! Depends on your circumstances, if you go away in the colder months then I would say definitely for a heater etc..
I hear what people are saying about hooking up but I find the hook up points are often stuck on hard standing pitches or all in a certain area. Personally I get away in the van to avoid the structured 'all in a row' that you get on caravan sites.
Saying that I'm just about to fit a 240v hook up in my new van :D

1 - 14 of 14 Posts