VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for a coolbox last for 3-5days off grid.

I currently have a durite relay that charges and 100ah leisure battery.
I have a 12v socket and two USB's and 6 led spot lights.

Mainly just charging iphones, ipad, running small fan, 12v shower and 6 led spot lights.

But i heard coolbox drains the battery? So would my 100ah battery cope?
Or is there a solar panel type?

Dont want a electic hookup, want everything off grid

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
447 Posts
In a word no. Those plug in cool boxes draw something like 5amps so your current battery would be flattened (ie 50% discharged) in 10 hours with nothing left for anything else.

Ideally you'd get a Waeco or similar high efficiency fridge which obviously cost a lot, but only draw about 1.7ah on average. Or just get one of those really well insulated cool boxes?

I think a lot of people go down this path of wanting to be off grid then see the challenges. I've got a Waeco fridge and 120ah battery, but even then 2-3 days with charging phones/tablets, lights and the fridge on a mid setting etc.. and the battery is on its last legs.

My solution was 150w solar panel stuck on the poptop. I can stay off grid almost indefinitely now, provided there's some sunshine around. On a good day I can plug my 12v coolbox in as well for a few hours to get some extra cold beers!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Very helpful reply thank you so much, what solar panel do you have?

Would a solar panel over charge the battery or does it stop overcharging when the battery is fully charged?

Also the colman extreme cool box seem to last 3-5days with just ice, or is there a better one than the colman extreme?

·
Premium Member
663 Posts
We use a Coleman Extreme and can vouch that it easily lasts 3 days. 5 days is possible depending how much you actually open it to get stuff out. Using bags of ice means you end up with water in the bottom in the end (as the ice melts), so bear that in mind when you're filling it with food or drinks. Ice packs work fairly well, but won't last as long although things do stay drier.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok thats great thank you strim thats helps us out alot 3-5days is all we need. I will check out the extremes. Is there any that last longef without paying silly money?

·
Premium Member
663 Posts
We got the Xtreme 50QT as we need something big enough for milk, drinks & food for a week. Also handy that it's got wheels and a handle which makes carting it around much easier. When it's full, it's really heavy! As a bonus, you can also use it as a seat :giggle:. There was another brand of coolbox that also got good reviews, but I can't remember what it was called now. We paid £70 for ours (in Jan '15) and I see they're available for around £75-80 now. I really rate it. It's been one of the best buys we've made for camping gear(y)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Strim, sound good went for the Coleman 28QT Xtreme Tricolour Cooler only £40 smaller than the 50QT but plenty for our needs, thanks again

·
Premium Member
663 Posts
Good choice and I think you'll be happy with it (y)
One thing I forgot to say was that when we go away, we 'pre-cool' the box by putting some frozen bottles of water in it. That way, the ice or freezer blocks you're putting in for your trip don't have to cool the inside of the coolbox and will last longer.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Plus one for a Waeco. We have a 100w flexible solar panel on the roof and the leisure battery stays nicely topped up with that.

·
Registered
447 Posts
I've got 150w flexi panel that I stuck on my poptop using 3M VHB tape, plus an MPPT controller (not cheap but wring the maximum from your panel). Probably cost me about £250 all in an a few hours to fit, not difficult but routing the cables inside the rear body channels is a bit of a fiddle, less so if you don't have a camper conversion with everything carpeted over!

I guess it depends on your budget and how confident you are at fitting a panel, but it's definitely the best long term solution and means you've got pretty much "unlimited" power if the sun is shining. The Waeco is a great bit of kit and being able to make ice even in the 30+degree heat of the South of France is a bonus, but then some of the latest coolboxes are so effective that could well do the job for you. A lot of campsites will let you refreeze ice blocks or sell frozen bottles of water (especially in France), which means you could drop one of those in each day.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts