VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

just bought a 1992 T4 Auto Sleeper and the fridge won’t work on 12v. Water pump worked when I first tested. Tried again today and wasn’t working, noticed fuse out blown. Replaced fuse and tested again, came on for 1-2 seconds then off again. Took brand new fuse out and it has blown again. I’m thinking the two issues are linked?
Fridge working on electric hook up so I know it’s working.
Anyone experienced this? Or any advice on what to try/test first to get both working?

thanks in advance guys, appreciated

·
Registered
158 Posts
Yes, usually if a fuse is blowing then the wiring is at fault, often it’s a bad earth.

Start at either end of the wire, check the ends are all in their crimps / connected properly and if it’s earthed to the chassis make sure it’s a good connection / no rust etc.

·
Full of Cr*p....
8,690 Posts
Err....bad earth won't blow a fuse! (Never, EVER.....just stops the appliance working).
A shorted +ve cable might.
Water pump "may" require up to 10 amps start-up (assuming it's a small one....Sureflow pumps take around 50 when 1st run!)
Pump motors have to start in a "pressurised" state....so take LOTS of current until they get to speed.

Fridge will require at least a 10 amp fuse (and they are NOT very efficient if it's an old style 3 way one).

Electric hook-up and 12v use 2 separate "heating" elements. (Yeah, HEATING, that's how they get the gas to circulate.)
Gas uses another burner unit to perform the same function.

They were "state of the art" back in the days....now, everyone uses compressor fridges that are more efficient.

·
Premium Member
33 Posts
Hi - does this match your vehicle?
I thought that the fridge only worked on 12v when the engine was running - otherwise you would need to use HU, or gas?
The water-pump on the other hand only runs off the leisure battery when the engine isn't running, as the habitation is isolated by relays when on the road.
So, if they are connected, then maybe you have a short somewhere in the Zig connection/switch circuitry (not the charger which will only run on HU).
Maybe that's a good place to start. The Zig panels are hiding a bunch of scary chocolate-box connectors - all explained in your Owners' manual.
Tell us how you get on
PS. Have you tried AutoSleepersOwnersForum?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I haven’t tried any of that, will deffo give that a bash and let you know how I get on. Will also go over and find that forum too.

Thank you so much for the help!

The fridge works on gas, gas uses the 12V to ‘ignite’ the gas. Which isn’t working. Fridge also has the ability to run on leisure, not working. But working on hook up.

The pump is blowing the fuse as soon as I turn it on, I just assumed they were linked as both in the same control panel area and similar issue. They might (hopefully not) be completely different issues though!

Will reply how we got on :) thanks for the help!

·
Premium Member
33 Posts
Ah yes, I'm being a bit dim . . .
Our Clubman 3-way fridge does need habitation leisure battery electrics to maintain gas starter circuit. There's no way it would run constantly off the leisure battery because the current draw is too great. It only runs off 12V proper when being fed off the vehicle alternator i.e. on the move.
Are you sure yours work off leisure too
RM4213_Controls_Elec.JPG

because the RED 12v switch only glows when it's switched on AND the engine is running.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts