VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Novokool 12v only fridge, connected direct to 85amp leisure battery (via fuse and switch) in back of van approx 3m of cable
worked fine all weekend earlier in the year (Friday pm till Sunday pm), but started cutting out after a day and half or so - checked batt connections bit corroded so cleaned up - no change
thought batt may be duff so checked and found it had been leaking (only 1 year old) - topped up and charged but still no improvement so bought new batt - same prob - checked voltage at batt and at fridge - both around 14.8v
rewired with 3core 2.5mm cable (only stuff I could find at local diy store) - still same prob - original cable is about 4mm
Thinking of going to 6mm cable and rewiring again, but puzzled by the fact it worked ok a few months ago on older battery with smaller cable - any ideas??
this is doing my head in now

·
Premium Member
1,678 Posts
does the fridge have temperature control, earlier in the year the weather was probably cooler and your fridge working less hard. This weekend was pretty hot, i managed from friday pm till saturday evening running my cf-35 from a 110amp battery till it dropped to ~10v and the fridge cut-out (i did have it set to -2c to keep the bbq meat cold though)..

·
Registered
2,798 Posts
Looks like you might have a similar problem to me.

I have already had to rewire my fridge, due to using too small a wire and loosing too many volts along cable run. Have you measured the voltage at the battery and then again at the fridge to see how much volt drop you are getting on the cable. Mine is about a 4m run, I originally used 1.5mm 3 core, then 2.5mm 3 core it is now 4mm single core. My fride is a Waeco CR50, the book recommends 6mm for a 4m cable run. Can't get a cable that big in the terminals on my panel! Using 4mm cable, I am getting about 0.2v less at the fridge than the battery.

Don't understand why it worked and now it does not. It's not anything to do with the outside temperature is it? Is it getting too hot, do you have any form of ventilation? These are all the things that are going through my mind on my van.

Hope this helps. Keep us informed on your progress and what you find is the cause.

Cheers

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks guys
1 to nwilko - yes the fridge does have a temp control - had it set to about 3 (goes to 7)
didnt have any instructions with the fridge - already fitted when I bought the van
thought these fridges were supposed to last about 4 days off leisure batt - was just staying at friends house over weekend so not using batt for anything else
2 - to Gazhow - yes measured volts at both batt and fridge - very little difference
guess it could be cos of outside temp as it was knobbling the first weekend away!
don't have a vent as such, but theres some space behind the fridge which goes all along the cupboard space - could try a vent in the front panel (ie behing drivers seat)
anyone tried one of these solar panels to recharge batt? thought about one that sits on the dash

PS the Zig panel still shows 14v+ for the leisure batt when fridge has cut out
Wondered if it might be something to do with the split charging - also wired before I had the van, so dont know anything about it

·
Registered
6,007 Posts
I had a very similar problem with my Weaco CR50. Earlier in the year It would last 2 days easy. Last weekend (very warm) it lasted about a day & a half. I checked the battery & it was reading 11.7 volts. The manual for my fridge says that at this voltage the ambient temperature is too high, or there is insufficient airflow around the elements. I think the hot weather drained the battery quicker. I am going run the van/charge the battery over this week & see what happens.

Edit: I also have a powered fan to blow air onto the rear elements. This was running during the day, but I tend to turn it off during the night.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts