VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking to get a 12v kettle for the van. Can anyone recommend a good one or is it better to use a standard 240v one through an inverter? Cheers

·
Premium Member
1,662 Posts
I would'nt bother with either to be honest mate,12v kettles are VERY slow and you'll need a large inverter for a normal kettle.
Why not buy a small camping stove with disposable gas cannisters:D and a whistling kettle,far easier and cheaper

·
Banned
1,762 Posts
You would be better heating a pot of water with a match, they are that slow, my small 2 cup kettle boils on my stove top in less than a min

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Haha seems pretty unanimous! Guess ill have to look into the stove option then! Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Sorry agree as well (BANG! OOOPS! post has fallen over)

Got one in the works van and it takes about 25/30 mins for it to boil.........

Dont bother.

·
Premium Member
1,678 Posts
cig lighter feed normally 10a fuse, say youve got the engine running so 14v at lighter and the kettle is pulling 10a.. youve got a 140w heating element, normal domestic kettle is rated at 2000 - 3000w, its gonna take around 14 to 20 times longer to boil water than your one in the kitchen does... would be quicker to wait for the sun to heat it..

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
What about those little ciggy plug elements that you stick in the actual cup , are they rubbish too?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts