VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi - I have a T4 2.5TDi - 90 A alternator.
I bought a Durite 140A VSR a while back and am looking to start wiring it up. I have one of JKays' double battery trays in the engine compartment and a 110 Ah battery there waiting.
Just a few quick questions.. Would 16 mm cable be up to the job? very short lengths needed. And either side of the VSR - what size fuses? 100 A? And can a strap the -ve to from the leisure battery to the same fixing point as the starter battery? if not, does anyone know they reason I can't ? and hence where else would be suitable without drilling holes (not much room in mine - ex AA!)

Thanks in advance

Jon

·
Registered
4,464 Posts
16mm is the right gauge, rated about 110a. 100a fuses are correct for the same reason (1 at each end) and the negative can be connected to anywhere on the van. As the starter battery is also earthed to the van, there's no reason why you can't connect both together. Apart from my leisure batteries being in the back, your set up is exactly the same as mine.

All the best, Al.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Great stuff - thanks Alan... It's amazing how long it takes to find out all this info. Glad I did my research first then asked on the forum.

Thanks again

Jon

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Cheers for the link Chris... I've heard of upspex before. I'm doing this myself, just need the occasion push in the right direction. I'm a domestic electrician - but 12v is a lot different from 240v !

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

·
Registered
4,464 Posts
LED dimming is possible. I'm also an electrician who's found his way round the 12v stuff. None of it is rocket science, it just looks complicated with lots of different coloured wires instead of the 3 colours we're used to..

Back to the point. LEDs are sensitive to voltage so they are dimmed not by reducing voltage with a resistor like a normal dimmer, but by pulsing them on and off very quickly. You can find LED dimmers on eBay for under a fiver.

For example

Check it out on eBay!

·
Registered
100 Posts
Thanks for the link Paul... Do you know anything about 12v Led light dimming ? Is it even possible?
I have 5 of these:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/10x-VW-T4...ervan_Caravan_Accessories&hash=item19efb2f102

I'm pretty certain they won't work if the voltage dips below 12v... I'm looking to buy quite a few things too - i'll check your site: 12v blade fusebox with negative terminals on.

Cheers

Jon
Hi Jon,

Alan was right, e-bay is your best bet for that sort of stuff.

For your fusebox we do this one which is very popular. The common earth keeps all your connections in one place back at the fusebox, so if you have a bad connection you don't have to go rooting behind panels or headlinings to find it. Best option is to use twin-core cable to run the power out from and the earth back to the fusebox.

Best regards
Paul

·
Registered
100 Posts
Thanks for the link Paul... Do you know anything about 12v Led light dimming ? Is it even possible?
I have 5 of these:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/10x-VW-T4...ervan_Caravan_Accessories&hash=item19efb2f102

I'm pretty certain they won't work if the voltage dips below 12v... I'm looking to buy quite a few things too - i'll check your site: 12v blade fusebox with negative terminals on.

Cheers

Jon
Hi Jon,

Alan was right, e-bay is your best bet for that sort of stuff.

For your fusebox we do this one which is very popular. The common earth keeps all your connections in one place back at the fusebox, so if you have a bad connection you don't have to go rooting behind panels or headlinings to find it. Best option is to use twin-core cable to run the power out from and the earth back to the fusebox.

Best regards
Paul

1 - 12 of 12 Posts