VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi.

I've been in this impression that when the engine is running there should be 14v going to the battery. Mine is only getting 13.16 volts. Is alternator going bad? :unsure:

My van is T5 2.5 TDI 174bhp.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Plus the battery shouldn't be able to pull it down that much unless it is knackered.
What is the battery voltage with the engine off?
And what is the voltage after driving for 1/2 hour or more?

·
Registered
242 Posts
How long has it been like that, has it read higher at any time ? are you having a flat battery problem ?
Are your headlights dim when engine is running ?
What are you using to read the voltage, does the vehicle have a voltmeter, or are you using a multi-meter ?
14.0V to 14.3V is correct voltage with a fully charged battery (measured with a reliable meter).

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi
Alternator output is generally governed by demand. Have you got anything hefty running in the background directly linked to the vehicle battery? What happens to voltage when you turn lights and fan blower on? You would expect to see a constant output of between 13.3 and 13.9 volts to maintain a fully charged battery and run systems but it will fluctuate dependent upon draw and immediately after starting the vehicle.
You dont mention flat battery issues?
Likewise, a faulty battery will cause demand. Unfortunately these days with sealed batteries and drop testing not recommended it is difficult to test a battery directly. Ideally get the battery discharge tested to confirm the state of the battery.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts