VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, 1st post on here so here goes...

I've just been for a test drive in a 2.5 LWB 130 with 76k on the clock and there was a ticking/tapping noise, fairly high frequency and in line with engine, not road speed, when the engine was under load, accelerating. It has a DSG box.

I know the timing is by gears - could it have been that? The noise vanished when running on part throttle, and otherwise it sounded brilliant. My other guesses would be turbo or gearbox.

Is this a common thing? Or is it a potential problem?

TIA

T:

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Have spoken to a couple of guys who suggest maybe it's a loose heat-shield or such like. That would tally with the sound.

I've got a mechanic checking it out tomorrow so hopefully will have an answer then.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The mechanic told me 'they all sound like that'. Oh well - I'd rather buy an hour of his time to look it over than take the risk. No problem with the exhaust manifold that he could see, and everything apparently tickety-boo.

So I'm getting the van on Saturday - joining the T5 club properly. Can't wait! :D

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.