VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After lots of soul searching I've decided to start looking for a new van and sell my faithful 2007 day van.
I've narrowed my option down to a new SWB Kombi with DSG and a few other bits and bobs but I'm struggling which engine size to opt for.
My heart thinks 180 POWER, but my head says 140 lower fuel bills.
This is where you lovely T5 people come in and offer loads of invaluable advice T:

Thanks in advance for any feed back A:

·
Registered
927 Posts
I had to make the same decision, and went 140, as, for us, it blends the best compromise of power and economy.

·
Premium Member
340 Posts
I had the same dilemma but opted for the 140 again. Just sold my 140 manual and my new 140 DSG should be coming sometime in November. It managed to put a smile on my face almost every time I drove it with the 140 engine, overtaking was easy and it was a pleasure to drive.
I hope the DSG is as good as everyone says it is. Still not driven a t5 with DSG as dealer didnt have one to test drive.
You can always remap the 140 to about 175 with a pendle treatment if you really feel to need a bit more.

·
Registered
731 Posts
I hope you have driven DSG in a T5 before ordering. We've just got a 180 DSG at work. It's poor at best. The DSG takes an age to kick in. It's like huge turbo lag. Have a search on here, loads have issues with it. Back the old 174 5 pot for me anyday.

·
Premium Member
6,277 Posts
I thought 180PS gave better mpg/lower CO2 on the official tests? They're both 2.0 engines after all. You just need to use SRF driving technique (sensitive right foot) to get good mpg.

·
Special Rapporteur
10,080 Posts
We've just got a 180 DSG at work. It's poor at best. The DSG takes an age to kick in.
There have been several reports of this here - the 180 seems a bad match for the DSG, for reasons unknown. Possibly VW spent too little effort tuning the box and 180 engine management to work together, but that's just guesswork.

I've got a 140 with DSG and there is no appreciable lag with that combination.

·
Banned
5,495 Posts
I got the same mpg with a 140 Caravelle as our 180 4motion Cali.
The 180 engine is decent and the smaller turbo means there isn't a low rev power gap.
I don't like DSG much so went for manual.

·
Registered
457 Posts
I love my 140 DSG. Never found any power problems between gear shifts, due to the 7 gears filling the gaps perfectly.
Sports mode holds on to the gears well, when you need a bit of poke.

·
Registered
489 Posts
my 140 Caravelle (so always heavy) is plenty fast enough, pulls the caravan like its not there... I can't see the need to go into the complexity of two turbos etc for the extra power but I guess if you can afford it then why not.

Not driven a GP DSG but I loved the Passat DSG I borrowed, the manual box is the only thing that spoils my 140 in my opinion as 1st and 2nd are tediously low (but useful when towing) so I find it hard to drive smoothly until up to 3rd and beyond.

·
Premium Member
6,277 Posts
I'm getting the feeling VW may have had to put in a torque limiting function in the engine management to prevent it destroying the gearbox in first..?

·
Registered
170 Posts
First gear seems unnecessary in my caravelle (180 DSG), it only seems to use it for the first 2yards, and then changes up. There is lag from a standing start which is a shame. My golf 170td DSG was a demon off the line! ( I miss that :()

Be interesting to hear the "Tuners" take on the 180 DSG combo to see if they have improved it by much.

·
Registered
75 Posts
DSG is brilliant when moving. The standing start delay is the only bit that irks me and seems to be a common issue / problem / occurrence (when you have no pressure on the accelerator and have been stationary for ~more than a second). I went 180 and don't regret it at all :) There's no turbo lag - it's a biturbo on the 180.

·
Premium Member
6,277 Posts
It's only 295lbs-ft! There are plenty of DSG cars running far more than that!
Absolutely, but many of them have first gear torque limitation too.

Also, it may be an output torque limitation, if the van DSG 1st ratio is effectively a crawler gear then the torque multiplication will give a massive output figure which could tear the final drive and driveshafts apart.

In addition, there aren't many 3 Tonne FWD only cars about. Any which get close like Audi A6s will have tall gears and less mass. The reaction on the driveshafts and any driveline resonance will be totally different. Luxobarges are usually RWD with long props and beefy diffs so the inertia and damping are totally different.

·
Registered
217 Posts
When I went into the dealers to order my new van I originally went for the 180 DSG but was talked out of it by the dealer as he said if I wanted DSG then the 140 was more suited to the gearbox and had no lag issues.

·
Registered
67 Posts
We've had our new sport line kombi 18- DSG for just over 2 months now.

Im unsure on the 'lag' problem people are talking about? Ive never noticed it from a stationary. It may be because this is my first transporter and i didnt have the older 174 sportline that everyone else is comparing it too.. But i think the van is perfect to drive.

MPG on motorway runs is roughly 34mpg sitting at 80mph on cruise. Around town stopping and starting with a light foot, about 25mpg.

Irfan

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
We run both 140 and 180 DSG on our fleet. Both great engines, and I don't think you'll notice much difference if any (unless hoofing it) on the MPG. Id say 180 every time, just to have the extra oooomph if you need it, and in the long run the residual will be better.

I have a nice 63 plate 140 DSG kombi for sale with some nice options, and also a 62 plate loaded highline 180 coming up for sale T:

·
Registered
42 Posts
I have the 180 and i love it too. The only "Lag" i get is when you're waiting to pull away after you've come to a stop i.e. roundabout/ give way junction, then it seems that it's not sure which gear to go for 1 or 2. I don't seem to have that problem in sport mode.
You get used to it. But when you want to get rid of the tailgater on the motorway nothing can beat the 180 for mid range punch, it always puts a smile on my face!
Economy wise i seem to get around 30-32 mpg on a normal "A road/ motorway" journey. Around town maybe a bit worse , but i don't really notice it.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts