VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm sure someone out there can help. A mate at work is thinking about buying a classic beetle and passed details of the following to me looking for advice (as he knows I drive a VW van ........:confused:)

http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/1142411.html

Have recommended he take someone along who knows about at least classic cars and restoration but any suggestions for what to look for??

·
Registered
270 Posts
Definitely take someone with you (them) who has experience in rusty old cars.
The pictures in the advert show a 1303 model which means it didn't come from the factory with a 1500cc engine - it would have had been either 1300 or 1600.
It will have MacPherson strut front suspension and CV jointed rear & a big padded dash unlike a 1500 that would have been torsion front/swing axle rear & a painted metal dash.
It is unusual for a 1303 or an M registered car to be tax exempt - check the chassis number and the taxation class on the V5C.

·
Registered
979 Posts
T:T: What MdR says, pre 71's are tax exempt, 73's are not.
One thing on 1302/1303's that often gets over looked is the framehead (the bit that the front suspension bolts on to) they rot like hell!! 1303's also have the curved windscreen which alot of people don't like :confused:
I wonder how much them wheels cost:eek::eek:

·
Registered
270 Posts
For a vehicle to be eligible for Historic vehicle excise duty or "tax exempt" it must have been built before 1st January 1973.
There are some vehicles that were first registered in 1973 but built in 1972 that are tax exempt but M-reg didn't begin until 01/08/73 so be aware.
I quite agree with the frame head rust issue where the lower control arms attach - have a look at Rich's frame head

·
Registered
979 Posts
I stand corrected:):) I'm sure it was pre '71:confused::confused:

·
Registered
270 Posts
Historic VED blurb HERE

It's stuff you need to know when you have twice as many cars that are 'historic' than ones you have to pay for I:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts