VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I currently have 15" steels that are very rusty on a 52 plate T4 campervan. They are fitted with 195 70 15's. Am upgrading to a nice Audi A6 16" alloy but struggling to find suitable tyres.

Ideally I am looking for good quality tyres that have roughly the same rolling radius, have a high load index (over 102) and can offer all season ability.

I can find light commercial tyres with the right load index - but these all appear designed for high mileage, summer use. I do low mileages (less than 5,000 a year) and want to be able to drive to the Scottish Hills in winter whilst also avoiding getting stuck on grassy / wet campsites. Also want to be able to safely carry family (wife, daughter, dogs, gear, bikes and canoes) on holiday tours in UK and France.

My dealer is trying to convince me to buy 4 Continental Van Tyres sized at 215 65 16 for £500. The tread looks very wet summer and they seem a good bit higher than the existing tyres.

Grateful if anyone can suggest a tyre that might meet my needs or should I do what the dealer says and maybe source a second set of 15" winter tyres to go on the steel wheels ?

·
Registered
3,910 Posts
How would U feel abt going for a more rugged look & fit AT-tyres?
U will cover most of U`r weather conditional need & meet the LI requirement

·
Registered
799 Posts
why over 102? ive just bought some 225/55/16's & there was loads on ebay. ive got some winters that ill leave on the rears til november then swap them to the front T: i think all season refers to normal summer driving (wet!) and snow. neither of these will really offer a bold knobbly grip that you will ideally want for grass etc. maybe some 4x4 tyres will be a good compromise?
215 65 16 are 32mm bigger than standard tyres. the 225 55 16 i have are exactly the same size as std. how wide are your wheels?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks All. Jefe - I use AT's (BFG's and General Grabbers) on my Landrovers and are pretty happy with them - which are all 16 inchers. So i'll give them some thought. G60 - those Vedresteins look good all season stuff and just the type of thing I was trying (and failing) to find. Has anyone tried these on a T4 yet ? Does anyone know what the biggest tyre on a 7.5 wide wheel will work on a T4 with standard suspension without fouling anything or stuffing the turning circle ? And what is the narrowest tyre that will work on such a wide wheel ? Finally, has anyone tried the Continental Vanco 4 Seasons ? They seem to get a good test rating - but very limited sizes available.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Dealer is very keen to talk me out of the Vredestein All Season tyre (he says because they have had problems with this manufacturer - but really means he cant supply them) and talk me in to the Continental Vanco 4 Season. He has quoted a very competitive, fully fitted, no hassle, full guarantee price on the Vanco's - so I am tempted to go that way. Would welcome real world feedback from any users (of either of these tyres) before I pull the trigger.

·
Registered
3,910 Posts
GMorning Smarticus; If U have experience from Soluhull products T:
The BFG pattern is as U may know also available in budget versions :cool: All depending on application :)
U could have a look through the SYNCRO section on here, might give U a good heads up A:
Happy hunting & please post a pic upon completion

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
OK, pulled the trigger on 4 Vredestein 205 65 16 all season tyres from Camskill. The tests all look very positive (way better than the conti) and I have heard some very good things about Vredestein winter tyres o hopefully these all season versions will also deliver. Many thanks for all of your advice and suggestions T:

Will report back once fitted and see how they perform on our planned tour of the Scottish Highlands & Islands.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts