VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HI All,

A good friend called me today to tell me about a 16" LED TV / DVD combo with Freeview for £99. He had bought one and installed it in his T4. I thought that it would be rubbish but when I went over to his to see it I had to go and buy one.

They are Techwood brand, guarunteed for 2 years and are in Morrisons while stock lasts. My friend even had a staff discount card so he got me mine for £89.10.

The TV does not come with a 12v for power adapter so you have to cut into the transformer cables and either join it to a cigarette lighter fittting or hard wire itto a power source. As it is LED it is very low on power consumption also.

·
Registered
5,175 Posts
HI All,

A good friend called me today to tell me about a 16" LED TV / DVD combo with Freeview for £99. He had bought one and installed it in his T4. I thought that it would be rubbish but when I went over to his to see it I had to go and buy one.

They are Techwood brand, guarunteed for 2 years and are in Morrisons while stock lasts. My friend even had a staff discount card so he got me mine for £89.10.

The TV does not come with a 12v for power adapter so you have to cut into the transformer cables and either join it to a cigarette lighter fittting or hard wire itto a power source. As it is LED it is very low on power consumption also.
will go check those out cheers T:

·
Registered
408 Posts
We've just got one of these for in the bedroom and now I've read this I may have to modify it to go in the van.

What's the best way of wiring it in to the cigarette lighter thing. Let me know how you did it and pics or a how too if poss.

Cheers

Pat J.

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes it has a USB socket.

To modify it is simple because the set actually works on 12v and has a transformer to decrease 240v down to 12v .

Cut the power wire that goes to the transformer. The join the cable with the white line on it to your positive power supply and the one with no marking on to the negative. Thats all you have to do!

When I bought mine I went back to the shop after an hour or so and complained that there was no power supply in the box. They gave me another power supply so I now had one to play with / chop into and one to use around the house if I need to. The spare unmolested power supply will also come in handy if for some reason in the future the set breaks down and I need to return it.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Just bought one today and they do look great for the money!
Trawled through roof mounts and found this
http://www.theplasmacentre.com/wall-brackets/tv-wall-brackets/flip-down.html?bracket_id=444
Looking to mount in the head lining between front seats.

£31.00 off I think it'll do the job though not sure on how it'll look i n the van, will fix an easy mount bracket onto this and on the back of the tv so the Tv will not be on show when driving around and can still be used in the house when not camping, or should that be glampingI:!

·
Registered
5,175 Posts
just got one of these, looks mint T:

few points tho for you:

I tried getting a mounting bracket but because of the DVD bit that sticks out at the back it gets in the way of the mount plate. And because the mount plates generally have the holes for a big size tv and the holes for a small tv (this one) you then can't line up the holes ont he back of the tv to the holes on the mount plate. Hope you understand that :*

Second:

If you wiring this in to a cigarette lighter/power socket that you have wired in to your van double check the wire you have installed for the is up to taking the current for the tv, and that the fuse on this is the correct one T: (these are just thinks i have thought and i'm not an auto elecy, but would be have for some advise from an auto elec on this, i just wana be on the safe side) T:

great tip off tho dubflecter, alltough i meet you the other weekend still forgot your name I:

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Matt, Its JP.

I just ordered this mount http://www.theplasmacentre.com/wall-brackets/tv-wall-brackets/flip-down.html?bracket_id=444 originally posted by m biker. I will let you all know what the fit is like when it arrives next week. I am just considering which aerial to go for and I guess its one of them where you get what you pay for. The more expensive ones seem to quote higher gain figures. I am not sure what this means but perhaps some one will enlighten me??

·
Registered
790 Posts
The "gain" is something to do with the strength of the reception pickup, ie, the higher ther better so it can pick up weaker signals better.

Although this should improve with the digital switchover

·
Premium Member
389 Posts
What aerial are you going to use ?
I wonder if these TVs are still available ?

Can anyone who has one advise if the TV can watch movies from a USB drive plugged into the TV and whether the TV USB socket can provide power to the USB drive you plug in ?

I'd love to hear about any ideas / trials.

Ta.

·
Registered
5,175 Posts
Would have thought so. I would think there might be a risk of it going pop if you wire it straight to 12volts and start the engine.
i've asked a few on here and they reckon its not any differnt than the other 12v tvs and moniters you get that you just plug in the the 12v socket.

mine will be connected to my lesure bat anyway, but if you have more infor i'd be keen to here, as i don't want it to go pop :ILU:

Can anyone who has one advise if the TV can watch movies from a USB drive plugged into the TV and whether the TV USB socket can provide power to the USB drive you plug in ?

I'd love to hear about any ideas / trials.

Ta.
yes you can watch films and play music from the USB i even picked up the music on my ipod and i think it was charging it as well, but i tried if with my camera, but that didn't seem to want to charge. Other thing with charging mines connected up via the mains at the mo so could be different on 12v

·
Registered
5,175 Posts
Matt, Its JP.

I just ordered this mount http://www.theplasmacentre.com/wall-brackets/tv-wall-brackets/flip-down.html?bracket_id=444 originally posted by m biker. I will let you all know what the fit is like when it arrives next week. I am just considering which aerial to go for and I guess its one of them where you get what you pay for. The more expensive ones seem to quote higher gain figures. I am not sure what this means but perhaps some one will enlighten me??
ha ha cheers JP T:

i don't want mine hanging down but using the same type of thing so it will swing out, seen one in asda but will have to chop the corners off for it to fit on the back of the tv :*

Yeah there is a few threads for ariels gona have a look for them now and will re post on here T:

·
Registered
518 Posts
just to make sure wires right way round.before plugging into mains,with a stanley knife cut some outer plastic of both wires seperate wires,put a multimeter on bare wires make sure posertive and negative are right way round,before connecting to cigar lighter plug,then check again on lighter plug when turned on.i would then put a inline fuse on wire.

·
Registered
5,175 Posts
just to make sure wires right way round.before plugging into mains,with a stanley knife cut some outer plastic of both wires seperate wires,put a multimeter on bare wires make sure posertive and negative are right way round,before connecting to cigar lighter plug,then check again on lighter plug when turned on.i would then put a inline fuse on wire.
good advice there fella, also dubflecter as identified which wires are witch

To modify it is simple because the set actually works on 12v and has a transformer to decrease 240v down to 12v .

Cut the power wire that goes to the transformer. The join the cable with the white line on it to your positive power supply and the one with no marking on to the negative. Thats all you have to do!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts