VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Gang

I’m interested in your views about the following.

Can 17” alloys ever look cool on an un-lowered T4.

Does it always have to be lowered when running 17” alloys, for it to look right, or does it depend on the style of wheel.

If it has to be lowered, what would be the least drop for it to look good.

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
I'd agree with that, the tyre will make a difference.

I had 17's on my last van when I bought it with low profile tyres (235/40's if memory serves me correctly) and the van was standard height. I thought it looked terrible and actually preferred the original steelies. As colse said, go for a larger profile and it'd no doubt look :cool:

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi

Would 235/50 17 tyres and 12mm spacers on rear look OK.

Also, do you think it would look better being dropped only on the front by 1 inch,or both front and rear by 1 inch.

I’m suggesting this because my van always appears to have slight rake as it never loaded.

·
sc vw customs 1.9tdi convert
17,028 Posts
Hi

Would 235/50 17 tyres and 12mm spacers on rear look OK.

Also, do you think it would look better being dropped only on the front by 1 inch,or both front and rear by 1 inch.

I’m suggesting this because my van always appears to have slight rake as it never loaded.
i would leave the rear at the standard height and drop the front slightly...costing no money at all in springs at the rear,a small fee for winding the front down a touch if you cant do yourself

go for 235/50/17 tyres with a 10mm hubcentric spacer and longer alloy wheel bolts...this depending on wheel width and et?

this is only my opinion...if you go standard height,drop the front a touch,stagger the wheels and jobs a good un..

feel free to contact me you you like,i aint that far away and can supply,fit etc all of the above...

simon.

·
sc vw customs 1.9tdi convert
17,028 Posts
Hi

Thanks for your advice T:
mate whats your wheel width and et as this will need to be taken into account if running spacers and those larger tyres,not that you will get anyrubbing etc,just the tyre thread could be pushed out past the arch if the et on your wheels is very low?..
this is allegal,hance the reason some people stretch..

if they are standard ish alloys etc,then you should be fine..simon.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi

My wheels (which are not at present fitted due to raising funds for the tyres) are 17" diameter by 7.5 width and ET 47

Do you think 10mm rear spacers will work?

·
Registered
37 Posts
I am running similar wheels with Eibach springs on the rear, so limited drop (40mm) no spacers. Currently running 225/45/17 and to me makes the van look daft. Really think you need to go low to run low profile.

Would post pictures but can not seem to upload photos, (why is this a problem for so many!) :bhd

Anyway to throw a spanner into the works so to speak, I was thinking of running 225/55/17 101W which I thought will fill the arch nicely. I do appreciate though that this would result in about a 3% difference in the speedo reading. However what with my van being a 1.9td I could do with a slightly larger rolling diameter for the motorway! LOL:

Without hijacking your thread, I would welcome the views of the likes of Colsee and other on this.

If I can sort out uploading pictures, I will post some for you.

·
Literally, white van man
4,071 Posts
:) I'm running 225/55/17 with about a 45mm drop, I think it looks OK. (I would like 18's but the tyres are expensive and I don't mind a compromise)
ET 42 wheels no spacers (I have no idea about the width? :eek: )

Uprated shorter shocks, no rubbing issues T:

Chris

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
Now that is looking nice Fatboy! Interested to know how the van handles, I'm currently on 18's, 235/40 and my van is a daily drive. The roads on the Island are crud so I'm seriously thinking of swapping out to 17's just to save my fillings and give the van an easier time LOL:. Shame as I really like them and it isn't an issue when I get over on the mainland and better roads.

Can't yet decide on 225/50 or 225/55......:* The 225/50 is as close as dammit to the original wheel size but should stiffen up nicely as less tyre roll than the standard 70's. Do your 55's roll much from the tyre? I've got a 40-45mm drop with Eibach's so ride is quite nicely tweaked at the mo. The 55's give a big wheel don't they, 3.87% bigger than the standard wheel so at 70mph you'd be doing just shy of 73mph.

I get what you say about the tyre price between 17's and 18's, also availability of a 101 load rating in a 225/50 seems nigh on impossible via my searches compared to the 225/55's which are aplenty. I want a high rating as full on camper with pop top and often is also fully loaded with four adults and MTB's!

So does anyone have any pitfalls regarding jacking up the wheel and tyre circumference on a 40-45mm drop, or is the general feeling in line with Mr Fatboy that it's a good choice and good to roll?

Really would appreciate your opinion, and any others who have some too T:

·
Registered
237 Posts
Hi mate here is mine on 235/40/17 with standard springs. However i would advise a bigger profile as i do get a lot of road noise compared with the standard wheels. I will be changing them to 225/50/17 when they run out.

·
Registered
339 Posts
hi, i currently have, audi a4 alloys 16", and run commercial tyres, she is lowered 40mm on eibachs, i think the tyres look far to chunky. i'm currently looking for some 17's i think your set up would look spot on if lowered with these sort of springs, i think this is what i'll go for now i've seen your pics, what tyres are they?, bravuris?, what sort of cost are these, cheers, gaz T:

·
Literally, white van man
4,071 Posts
...... Interested to know how the van handles, I'm currently on 18's, 235/40 and my van is a daily drive. The roads on the Island are crud so I'm seriously thinking of swapping out to 17's just to save my fillings and give the van an easier time LOL:. ........

Can't yet decide on 225/50 or 225/55......:* The 225/50 is as close as dammit to the original wheel size but should stiffen up nicely as less tyre roll than the standard 70's. Do your 55's roll much from the tyre? I've got a 40-45mm drop with Eibach's so ride is quite nicely tweaked at the mo. The 55's give a big wheel don't they, 3.87% bigger than the standard wheel so at 70mph you'd be doing just shy of 73mph.

I get what you say about the tyre price between 17's and 18's, also availability of a 101 load rating in a 225/50 seems nigh on impossible via my searches compared to the 225/55's which are aplenty. I want a high rating as full on camper with pop top and often is also fully loaded with four adults and MTB's!

So does anyone have any pitfalls regarding jacking up the wheel and tyre circumference on a 40-45mm drop, or is the general feeling in line with Mr Fatboy that it's a good choice and good to roll?

Really would appreciate your opinion, and any others who have some too T:

Hi Cully, Mines a daily drive, back roads in Zomerzet, after the school run into work.The van rolls a little if I'm 'making progress' ;). I think this is more to do with the torsion bars and lack of rear ARB, I have the steels on at the moment and if anything it rolls more so perhaps the tyres affect it more than I realise :confused:
As an aside the speedo is spot on with the sat nav on 225/55/17 at 70mph (with the 225/55/17). As mine is a camper (sink, units, RIB bed etc) it probably sits a little lower and I dropped the front to match so it sits level T:

Sorry for the off thread.

Chris

PS I have discovered if I have full lock and turn up into a driveway too fast I can on occaision just rub the front arch a little (so I drive slowly into upwards drives on full lock LOL: )

1 - 16 of 16 Posts