VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,
I've just taken my 18" RS4s off my van and put the old steel wheels back on due to the number of massive craters on the roads up here. I've sold my old alloys on ebay and now don't know whether to buy a new set of 17" or 18" alloys. I know all about the load ratings and stuff but do you guys think 17s would resist the potholes any better than 18s. I think the smaller diameter should be stiffer and an extra inch of rubber is going to soak up the bumps better than an extra inch of alloy. Although saying that when it comes to rims bigger does look better. Would it be worth dropping down to 17s or do i just need to avoid the holes a bit better?
Thanks, Brian. :)

·
Registered
378 Posts
I run 17's and hit a pothole and the tyre blew out and also cracked the alloy, i don't think it'll make much difference size wise because if the pothole is big enough its gonna do some damage either way. Saw a nissan note who hit the same pothole last week and his tyre had popped too. T:

·
Registered
143 Posts
I run 17's and hit a pothole and the tyre blew out and also cracked the alloy, i don't think it'll make much difference size wise because if the pothole is big enough its gonna do some damage either way. Saw a nissan note who hit the same pothole last week and his tyre had popped too. T:
Anyone took the local council through the small claims court to recover the cost of wheel and tyre damages from poorly maintained roads, if so whats the process to favor the odds in winning .... what are your rights as a road user?

·
Registered
378 Posts
Well i'm under the impression you have to take measurments of the pothole (width and depth), and take a photo to back up your complaint. however i'm told that the council are refusing to pay out to folk with modified vehicles. how true this is i don't know, i should have complained really but i got my tyre replaced under guarantee as it was only a week old and got my alloy welded and straightened for 20 sniffs, so wasn't that bothered.
I wonder how many motorists this has happened to and they've just let it go like me?:*

·
Registered
6,655 Posts
there must be loads of folks mate but we are british dont you knowLOL:LOL:LOL:
and iv just fitted some 19"s and the rides ok......firm but ok

·
Registered
4,846 Posts
Anyone took the local council through the small claims court to recover the cost of wheel and tyre damages from poorly maintained roads, if so whats the process to favor the odds in winning .... what are your rights as a road user?
the problem i see with this is if the wheel your running is no longer available....
the bbs im running are very rare and if i damaged one the full set would be scrap
because chance of a replacement would be very very slim...

if 17 x 8 steels where easyer to come by i would defo be running steels...

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
I went from 18's to 17's cos I think they look better T:
Better tyre choice aswell as being cheaper.

Doubt wheel size would have much bearing on whacking a pothole. I would've thought the outcome would be pretty much the same.

·
Registered
6 Posts
im running on mercedes 16" alloys after doing the same on my rs4's now im on the look out for a spare 18" unfortunately it doesnt really matter what size alloy you use potholes can kill them. my mate at mercedes has customers making claim against the council everyday now and are selling silly numbers.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks guys. Think i'm gonna go for some 17"s. A guy at my work is selling a brand new set of VW Monza alloys that he got on his Golf and swapped them for 18"s when he got it. I just need to check the load rating of the tyres before i buy them. T:

·
Registered
178 Posts
Hi,

I had 235 45 17's but have now gone to 225 50 17's to have more cushioning.......

All personal preference really.

Cheers

MarkT:

·
Registered
644 Posts
i pretty much agree if you hit a pothole it's gonna do damage no matter what, so wheel size won't matter. i'm running 18's and people following must think i'm drunk cause i'm swerving all over the road (they wheels have only been on a week). as for the council it shouldn't make a difference if you have after market wheels or not because at the end of the day we pay road tax for having good roads!!!!! i know someone that claimed last year and she got a brand new wheel and tyre fitted quite quickly. so get your selves down the local council and get your claim in.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts