VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi

I have a question.

How do people with 18" or bigger wheels go about having a spare?

Do you need to buy a 5th rim the same size or do you have a smaller standard one in case of emergencies?

thanks

·
Registered
927 Posts
I have 18's on my car, and the spare is a 16". It's about the rolling circumference not the wheel size.

I also remember my wife's car came as stock with 17's and the spare being a 15".

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
so do i need to measure the circumference of both the spare and the alloy to make sure they are the same?
or should this have already been done?

basically, buying a van and they are upgrading my wheels to 18" and was worried about the spare?

·
Registered
711 Posts

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
Ive got 18" Alloys fitted on 235/50/18 and carry a 17" steel spare with a 235/55/17....As far as I know a 17" wheel is the biggest you will get in the carrier T:

·
Registered
129 Posts
I've got 18" alloys on 235/50 tyres and I use my original 16" steel as a spare. Just remember if you keep your original steel as a spare keep the original wheel nuts in the van as well. Could be a tricky moment when you come to fit your spare at the side of the road and find your alloy nuts wont fit your steel spare :*

·
Registered
711 Posts
I'm pretty sure it's not the alloy size but the overall rolling radius that's important. As well as wheel width but on my van the spare carrier has two hinge points to alloy for wider wheels. On the wider setting my 255/40R19 Wheels fit in it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts