VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi...I am getting my first T5 this weekend (T28 SWB) and need to fit it with a tow bar for a works trailer...The trailer only carrys upto 1.5tonne and will only be used about once a fortnight to carry around 1 tonne of material for about 40 miles...I was going to be safe and get 18 inch load rated wheels with 245/45/18 tyres...but this weekend i went to 'dubbing in dorset' and most T5's had 20 inch wheels. The issue I have is my local tyre supplier recommends a profile of 45 and no lower especially as we live in a rural area...please can i have some advice...regards greg
PS...some folks tell me i need the tow bar to be a coded type for the abs etc...what are your thoughts?...it a 13 plate
Thanks In Advance!!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Sorry...new to this...forgot to add that i was going to lower the van on 40mm H&R's or ProSport Coil Overs (40-70mm)...i have only seen Vmaxx coil overs mentioned...anyone used prosport ones?...Greg

·
Registered
833 Posts
Don't forget profile is a %'age of the width ,not the sidewall height in mm's, so a 275/40/20 will have a similar sidewall height to a 255/45/20. Plenty of people running 275/40's on 20 inch wheels on T5's. Tyres are reasonably priced , plentiful and load rated in this size .You may only need a 99 or 100 load rated tyre being a T28 (check your axle weights) in which case you might be able to use something else, but may be cancelled out by tyre prices! I've got Pro sports on my van . No problems yet (12 months +) Not set too low as I like a bit of comfort. Done all that bone jarring ride stuff 25 years ago!
Tyres are 275/35/20.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I run 20s on 275/40 tyres lowered 40mm and I pull a 1475kg caravan with no issues at all drives better than when it was on steels. You will have to have your wiring coded to vehicle I think its £60 at vw mine didnt need doing as its a 2009 model and doesnt have the canbus wiring..

1 - 4 of 4 Posts