26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi
has anyone have for sale a 18 inch wheel for a t4 with or with out tyre
going away soon and dont have a spare

·
Registered
405 Posts
If you have a standard wheel as a spare it will be perfectly adequate to use this - as a get you home/place of repair. T:

A large majority of cars on the road have a spare that is a different size to the usual road wheel size, and they are used daily without any issues.

·
Registered
62 Posts
on that way if you will get punkture on front tyre you will need to swap yours tyres with rear ones, otherwise you might kill your gearbox,front wheels must be the same mesure

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks for the replies , not in so mutch of a panic knowing that you can use the original spare

·
Registered
405 Posts
on that way if you will get punkture on front tyre you will need to swap yours tyres with rear ones, otherwise you might kill your gearbox,front wheels must be the same mesure
explain? :confused:

So if one wheel spins on a wet/icy surface (smaller wheel rotating faster than a larger wheel), and the other remains with traction this will damage the gearbox?

Similarily - if you have one tyre with good tread and one with none this will also kill the box?

·
Premium Member
700 Posts

So if one wheel spins on a wet/icy surface (smaller wheel rotating faster than a larger wheel), and the other remains with traction this will damage the gearbox?

Similarily - if you have one tyre with good tread and one with none this will also kill the box?
Or if you turn a corner! :eek:

·
Registered
3,992 Posts

I think the guy was looking too much into a differential on doesnt know what one does or how it works mechanicaly ,
but i will say the the planet gears in a diff do not run on bearing they run on bushes so they shouldnt be continuously used
as a temp get you home thou its not going to hurt but it wouldnt be a good idea long term otherwise yes it will damage the diff bushes T:

·
Registered
62 Posts
on bmw i had when i was student i put diferent sizes tyres on rear axle,there became noticeble noise maybe after 500km. gearbox will not fall apart stight away,but it is not recomended to use diferent sizes tyres on driving axle

1 - 11 of 11 Posts