VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi there Im making my own bed from Phenolic Plywood based on the design in the photo for my T5. I've found a place to supply and cut the boards for me.
They've quoted £285 to supply and cut to size. Seems quite a lot but its cheaper than buying a bed and the design does fit my needs quite well.

Anyway Ive yet to shop around because Ive just spotted some stuff on eBay.

My main questions are:

1) What would be the advantages of Phenolic over normal Plywood? Possibly that its waterproof (moisture proof) and its non slip. But Im not sure if those are of great importance or not? Im putting a mattress on top of it.

2) The design in the picture states 18mm plywood so Im assuming thats right. Is that the right thickness so that it doesn't bend in the middle with 2 adults on it. Not sure if anyone has a similar bed system with that kind of wood on?

·
Registered
27 Posts
£285 seems an awful lot to supply and cut what looks like 2 8 x 4 sheets
I would have thought that an ordinary hardwood ply would have done the job. B&Q sell that for about 35 a sheet and will cut it for you too for a few quid.
If you wanted to give it some protection you could varnish it.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Most people and conversion companies use ply for lining which is more than suitable, so I’m certain that standard ply will be more than suitable for your needs. If I am correct, Phenolic and exterior grade ply weigh considerably more.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah right both good points actually. I will be looking at the cheaper alternatives then. Thanks for your thoughts on the matter!!!!! (y)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts