VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I've just joined so I hope you don't mind me asking questions right away. I have quite a lot of experience with older vehicles, running a '79 Golf diesel as my daily and a '78 Bedford CF at weekends, but I've just been given a T4 which was pronounced as needing a new engine, and I need some help.

It'a an x-reg 2000 year model 1000T 1900TD model, which has been exported and is now on French plates. After 125k miles the owner heard a strange sound from the engine, and noticed that there was no oil... He filled up with fresh oil, and took it to a garage, who said it needed a new engine (not surprisingly) and quoted him 7000 euros (yes seven thousand)

To cut a long story short, he left it in the corner of his garden for six months, then gave it to me for scrap.

I've done a bit of cleaning (there was oil everywhere) charged the battery, checked the fluids and it starts instantly with no strange noises. It will run for a few minutes fine, but if you rev it a bit there's clearly oil or fuel getting in to the cylinders and the revs hit the roof along with a lovely rattle. Turning off the ignition helps a bit, but the engine won't stop immediately.

My guess would be the turbo bearings?

There seems to be no problem with the coolant level or colour, so the head gasket may be OK.

What should I look at first? Is the very low oil level likely to have done enough damage to need a new engine? Like I said, on starting at tickover the engine sounds very good, even revved to 4k...

Just one more question, is it the same 1900 TD as fitted to Golfs? All VWs over here are diesels, and a dead Golf with a good engine is quite easy to find. Is this a straight swap?

Any help greatly appreciated.
Robin

·
Registered
449 Posts
turbo sounds likely
my old diesel astra van (swear word here i know) sat on the garage forecourt and ate its self in front of the guy who sold it to me
best bet would be do the tdi conversion
relatively simple and so much good info on here about it
you get a good quick reliable van with massivley better economy
have a read on some of the tdi conversion threads in the tdi section
happy days

·
Premium Member
2,579 Posts
I can pretty much guarantee that the ABL lump (1.9 Td) will be damaged, it is a bit frail even when running correctly. Its obviously running on it's own oil, there's a video somewhere on the forum of another one self destructing.

Have a look at the TDI conversions threads - there's photoguides & a list of suitable replacement engines as well.

Good luck with it T:

·
Registered
3,944 Posts
What about removing the turbo and running it NA - will at least tell you if it is the turbo leaking

·
Registered
331 Posts
Sounds lime your engine is running away. I did this the other day by mistake. I over filled my astra van. Driving it amd all of a sudden the revs went off the scale. I shut the engine off and nothi g. So i popprd the bonnet and pulled a batt cable. It kept going. It kept going infact u till the engine went bang.

Take not, if it starts over revving and carrying on put it in a high gear and stall it or it will keep goi g and bang. Starving it of air stopps it aswell.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What about removing the turbo and running it NA - will at least tell you if it is the turbo leaking
Hi,

that sounds like a nice place to start.

Over here the TDi conversion is not possible thanks to the country which invented bureaucracy, but if I can simply replace either the compete engine or a part of it, that would suit le fine.
How can I simple remove the turbo? Just by blanking off the hoses, etc, or is it a little more complicated than that?

Robin

·
Registered
449 Posts
if the tdi is done properly it would take someone who really knows to spot the difference at inspection, MOT time
Not supposed to do it here, but mines been thru 3 inspections now without even a grimace
honestly best way to go. The abl always was iffy (I know cos I rebuilt mine 3 times before tdi ing it)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi,

is the 1.9TD engine the same as one from a Golf? Apparently it's an ABL code. Can I find this code on the block?

I'll start by blanking the Turbo and seeing what happens, then start looking for a replacement at the weekend.

More news soon!
Robin

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hi,

removed manifolds today and had a good look - there's a couple of mm play in the turbo, so that's clearly at least one source of leaking oil. I'm going to try to rig up the manifolds without the turbo and run the engine next, and I'll be heading for a scrapyard to pick up a Golf mk3 turbo to fit instead.

More news soon,
Robin

1 - 11 of 11 Posts