VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dear Forum
I have a 1991 T4 camper. Autohomes Koncorde 2.0 non turbo diesel.

My van is non compliant with the ULEZ in London.
To be extended in Oct 2021.

Can anyone suggest any ideas about how to get round the ULEZ?
Put a new motor in? - Go LPG - Go Electric - Fit DPFs?

I'm really keen to keep the van. So any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
David

·
Registered
60 Posts
I am also in this boat. Last time I heard
-there were meant to be options coming for getting vehicles emission control upgraded and certified but nothing was in place
-LPG wasnt an option as they were doing emissions based on the engine itself
-New motor/electric should be an option for same reasons but I am not sure if they have any way to reclasify yet

All this may have changed since last I looked.

In the motorbike world, you can just get your emissions below the limits and have bikes retested. I haven't heard of this happening for 4-wheels yet. I got one of my carbed bikes ULEZ'd. There are very few places to do it, they need to invest in special kit(so charge for it, think it was about £200 for a test), can't just go to an MOT place.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am also in this boat. Last time I heard
-there were meant to be options coming for getting vehicles emission control upgraded and certified but nothing was in place
-LPG wasnt an option as they were doing emissions based on the engine itself
-New motor/electric should be an option for same reasons but I am not sure if they have any way to reclasify yet

All this may have changed since last I looked.

In the motorbike world, you can just get your emissions below the limits and have bikes retested. I haven't heard of this happening for 4-wheels yet. I got one of my carbed bikes ULEZ'd. There are very few places to do it, they need to invest in special kit(so charge for it, think it was about £200 for a test), can't just go to an MOT place.
Hi there
Yes, I'm dealing with bikes as well.
I got a 1985 BMW K100 RS which according to Riverside who seem to be doing the ULEZ testing won't pass.
So will get an old VFR or something that I know will get through.
I got an old 1976 Z1000 A1 which is exempt so use that too. Lord knows what the emissions are on that.

As for the van.
I believe you can add the various DPFs and converters, will be expensve and may affect what little performance there is on my old T4. As it's a camper, we hardly ever use it TBH, but pretty adamant I'm not going to get rid.
Interesting to hear that LPG will be no good as you say.

Whoever comes up with whatever sneaky workaround for old T4s will be a very popular person.

David

·
Registered
60 Posts
Of course the oldest T4s must be exempt now under the rolling 30 year historic vehicle thing. Another 5 years to wait for me

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Of course the oldest T4s must be exempt now under the rolling 30 year historic vehicle thing. Another 5 years to wait for me

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Actually not quite. It's 40 years for the historic status.
So the oldest T4s have to wait another decade unfortunately and it may well be that diesel commercials or motorhomes will get ejected from the exemption anyway. Wouldn't surprise me.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Actually just spoken with a lovely fellow at BNOx System – Baumot
He advises that to be ULEZ compliant as a diesel you need adblue system, so Euro 6 equivalent.
This is not possible on my 1991 T4 apparently. So that is that ATM at least.
(I have a 2006 VW T5 - This can be converted to Euro 6 / Adblue standards at a cost of £4K.
i.e. Uneconomical for most)

It may be that an used euro 6 VW engine can be 'Dropped in' to a T4 with all the attendant electronics.
But that doesn't sound cheap or much fun tbh.

I think this is a wait and see. Will revisit this in October 2021 when they extend the Lezzy zone to the south circular.

D

1 - 8 of 8 Posts